Pathfinder Hero Point Deck Review

Pathfinder Hero Point Deck is one of Paizo’s growing line of accessories to help take your game to the next level. They can be used in a multitude of ways, from being a visual way of tracking your Hero Points to adding new ways to utilize your points. Heroic deeds are the cornerstone of great characters throughout literary and gaming history. I love systems that reward players for doing...

Pathfinder Hero Point Deck is one of Paizo’s growing line of accessories to help take your game to the next level. They can be used in a multitude of ways, from being a visual way of tracking your Hero Points to adding new ways to utilize your points.

IMG_4136.jpeg

Heroic deeds are the cornerstone of great characters throughout literary and gaming history. I love systems that reward players for doing heroic things, even better if I can do more cool things because of it.

In Pathfinder, the GM awards Hero Points throughout each session for characters going above and beyond the call of duty. This encourages players to do things outside their comfort zones. These points can be spent to reroll checks or avoid death in the game.

The Hero Point Deck adds another layer to using the points. Each one gives a different benefit when spent, or they can be turned in for the original uses for Hero Points. Not every card will be useful for every character, so there are a few optional rules that can be implemented into the game.

I love that there are plenty of options when it comes to doling out the cards and I’m sure plenty of gaming groups will come up with their own to maximize the usefulness of the deck. At the GM and groups discretion: players can trade cards, cards are laid out in the center of the table for players to spend their Hero Points on, or turn the top card over so the players can see what their next heroic action will get them.

The cards themselves are well thought out. Each one has its own title, when it can be used, what it will do, and flavor text. Knowing when and how a card will work helps keep them from bogging down the game by having to look up the rules. Plus, who doesn’t love a good flavor text?

If you’re looking for a way to help liven up your sessions, the Hero Point Deck is a good way to inject more life into using Hero Points. They make tracking Hero Points easy because the cards are right in front of the players instead of writing down and erasing every time you get or use one.

Dawn Dalton

Dawn Dalton

Tbiafore

Explorer
These are okay to use. Most are very weak and very situational. Now you can use the card as a regular Hero Point (reroll), OR use the effect on the card, but I just find the effects are sort of "MEH" or situational and most times my players end up just using the card as a standard hero point reroll.

LPuff

Adventurer
I'm a little dubious of this deck as I have not been a fan of the crit hit and fumble decks of the past. Any examples of what the cards actually do?
Protect the Innocent: Play when an incapacitated ally or noncombatant NPC within sight takes damage from an attack or effect. Prevent all the damage. You take half of the damage they would have taken.

Surge of Speed: Play at the start of a creature's turn. That creature is quickened on its turn and can use the extra action only to take a single action with the move trait.

A common accessory, I've noticed. The Deck of Fate, GF9's 5E Spell Cards (when those were a thing), Hitpoint Press' 5E spell/monster/item cards (however long those last), Cypher System's various decks, I think CoC had them for a bit...

Remove ads

Remove ads