Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Lite?

Ragmon

Explorer
Hello.

Use Rule cards. Let me explain.
In Shadowrun (I will assume you know the game), a friend of mine who plays a hacker most of the time created cards for his hacking, matrix, computer use, and so on checks/maneuvers.
Pros:
- No need to flip through the book every time.
- Multiple players can read up on different rules.

Use dice instead of figures, this way you can mark different effect, maybe the order the players go during combat, or even the duration of an effect on the character.
This can help you and the players see the order of combat, and visually keep track of durations.
That and if you use dice you can aproximate distance, similarly sized d6s can be 5 feet squares, this way you don't need to break or the battle map every time.

As a DM try to avoid combat situations if you do not like them (this does not apply if the group prefers combat over RP).
Now if the GM wants more RP but the Players like combat more, meet them half way and play combat in a more RP fashion. Flesh out the enemies combat styles, make the talk during combat, give detailed examples of the NPCs, not every combat must be one sided (Enemy dies or the players die). Defeat the players now and then, in a fair way.
Basically have fun with combat.

Ask your players to keep track of the rules for their abilities, so you guys don't have to check the numbers every time. Simply put, you distribute the workload.

That is all.

As a player I myself usually write everything down in a notebook,my characters abilities, spells, how they work, with exact numbers, animal companions, shapes my character can turn into (with all the stats).
- so dumb stuff like this don't happen:
PC: I turn into a Medium Earth Elemental.
DM: Ok. what is your AC?
PC: Em, could you check the MM for the elemental's natural armor?
Mid combat and all that.

- Or a good example:
Casting a from Spell Compendium and we just so happened not to have the Laptop with us and I just so happened to have 1 very useful spell from there, good thing I wrote it down in my notebook.

In conclusion, spread the work load (make your players know the exact function of the abilities they have, numbers and all), create notes so you can quickly confirm some rulings.

timASW

Banned
Banned
Hello.

Use Rule cards. Let me explain.
In Shadowrun (I will assume you know the game), a friend of mine who plays a hacker most of the time created cards for his hacking, matrix, computer use, and so on checks/maneuvers.
Pros:
- No need to flip through the book every time.
- Multiple players can read up on different rules.

Use dice instead of figures, this way you can mark different effect, maybe the order the players go during combat, or even the duration of an effect on the character.
This can help you and the players see the order of combat, and visually keep track of durations.
That and if you use dice you can aproximate distance, similarly sized d6s can be 5 feet squares, this way you don't need to break or the battle map every time.

As a DM try to avoid combat situations if you do not like them (this does not apply if the group prefers combat over RP).
Now if the GM wants more RP but the Players like combat more, meet them half way and play combat in a more RP fashion. Flesh out the enemies combat styles, make the talk during combat, give detailed examples of the NPCs, not every combat must be one sided (Enemy dies or the players die). Defeat the players now and then, in a fair way.
Basically have fun with combat.

Ask your players to keep track of the rules for their abilities, so you guys don't have to check the numbers every time. Simply put, you distribute the workload.

That is all.

As a player I myself usually write everything down in a notebook,my characters abilities, spells, how they work, with exact numbers, animal companions, shapes my character can turn into (with all the stats).
- so dumb stuff like this don't happen:
PC: I turn into a Medium Earth Elemental.
DM: Ok. what is your AC?
PC: Em, could you check the MM for the elemental's natural armor?
Mid combat and all that.

- Or a good example:
Casting a from Spell Compendium and we just so happened not to have the Laptop with us and I just so happened to have 1 very useful spell from there, good thing I wrote it down in my notebook.

In conclusion, spread the work load (make your players know the exact function of the abilities they have, numbers and all), create notes so you can quickly confirm some rulings.

XP comments arent showing so I'll do it here. Using dice instead of a battle mat makes a big difference. I convert every 1 inch to 5ft if really necessary occasionally. And if any player doesnt know how his power works then he doesnt have it on his turn. Use other peoples turns to learn about your character instead of engaging in OOC chatter.....

Using a laptop with a digital character sheet ( I recommend bad ass bandanna's sheet for pathfinder) makes a big difference. Pathfinder also has a free spell compendium app for smart phones that helps speed things up a lot.

LexStarwalker

First Post
I had a similar journey with 3.5. I had issues with the game and at first ignored them or tried to house rule them, but quickly realized that the game was very inflexible to the type of changes that I wanted to make (which honestly weren't that big). I started exploring other games which required me to de-program myself from d20, but eventually found games that fit what I was looking for. IMHO 3.5/Pathfinder/4e would have been better games if they were lighter rule wise. Again IMHO less is more.

So my advice? Look at other games. Be open minded.

Also D&Dnext was suggested, and that might be what you are looking for.

Yeah, more and more I'm seeing the wisdom in this. The problem with such a complex rule system is any change you make has ripple effects all over the place. You end up making more work for yourself as opposed to saving work.

I still run Pathfinder, and it has its place for now, but it's more like a board game to me. Which is fine from time to time. But when I want good RP, I'll look to another system.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
5th Ed is shaping up to be what I wanted 3rd Ed to be: a proper successor to 2nd Ed, they derailed with 3rd Ed, and carried the derailing torch with 4th Ed, IMO/IME.

N'raac

First Post
Use other peoples turns to learn about your character instead of engaging in OOC chatter.....

This is a big one - look up the spell, power, ability you plan to use between your actions - even if you are POSITIVE you know how it works. Funny how often "positive" turns into "mistaken". Plus, since you have the right book, at the right page, it's easy for the GM to check those rules.

For those who, like me, still prefer paper to iPad, put the bok and page number reference on your character sheet with the spell/power. Your spell selection/book/whatever should note the spell name, the book it's in and the page number. If someone else is fumbling with a spell or ability on your sheet, call out the page reference. You dont have to beat people on the head with it, but you can "show off" why your actions take two minutes to resolve - and others will often get the hint.

A time limit on stating actions, or the character Delays, can also speed the game along. That motivates the players to be ready when their turn comes up - watch the flow outside their actions so their next action can be planned in advance, just as their character probably isn't discussing last night's gladitorial matches between his attacks! Most players get annoyed watching one guy delay the game, so make sure you're not that "one guy". If you can't maintain interest between your own actions, maybe a group activity is not for you and you should go play a videogame instead.

Last edited:

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
You have very valid concerns but my question to you is why don't you just do as you like? You said you like Golarion, but you prefer other editions. I have seen MANY people simply use the rule system and monsters of another edition in the setting of Golarion! Basically it would just be 3.0 (For examples) with a Pathfinder paint job! Golarion would be the setting, but the rules would be that of your favored edition. Yes it may require some work but most of Pathfinder was inspired by old school stuff. I'm sure if you talked with your players ahead of time they would understand. One of my DMs decided to use the Pathfinder rule set, in the actual Forgotten Realms 3.5 setting! I myself think every edition has the opportunity to shine...some much less than other *cough, cough!* 4.0 *COUGH!* I think you could do this easier than you think. From what you've told us you've been doing this enough to have allot of personal experience, it may require some work but I think you'd be very happy going back to the edition you like and setting it in Golarion! :D Hope this helps!

timASW

Banned
Banned
You have very valid concerns but my question to you is why don't you just do as you like? You said you like Golarion, but you prefer other editions. I have seen MANY people simply use the rule system and monsters of another edition in the setting of Golarion! Basically it would just be 3.0 (For examples) with a Pathfinder paint job! Golarion would be the setting, but the rules would be that of your favored edition. Yes it may require some work but most of Pathfinder was inspired by old school stuff. I'm sure if you talked with your players ahead of time they would understand. One of my DMs decided to use the Pathfinder rule set, in the actual Forgotten Realms 3.5 setting! I myself think every edition has the opportunity to shine...some much less than other *cough, cough!* 4.0 *COUGH!* I think you could do this easier than you think. From what you've told us you've been doing this enough to have allot of personal experience, it may require some work but I think you'd be very happy going back to the edition you like and setting it in Golarion! :D Hope this helps!

Along these lines I actually ran a game set in Golarion with the rules from hunter the vigil. Worked out pretty well till the characters got eaten by some trolls. Turns out the white wolf system needs a little more adjusting for D&D monsters then I used at the time, but it was still an awesome game the players still talk about.

Remove ads