Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

Sunderstone

First Post
BryonD said:
I know for certain that many people really didn't like 3e and I know for certain that many people will like 4e.

Thats what the good folks at WotC told us when they announced 4E. Your game is broken, even if it works for you. You need to move on to our upcoming shiny 4E. You will like 4E because we say it'll be better.

umm.... no.

Firevalkyrie

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Good for you. I hope you enjoy your 4E. I'll be enjoying my Pathfinder RPG. While you're playing a game that feels like the depth of a movie, I'll be enjoying my game that feels like a book. While you're spending your hard earned money on overpriced priced books with a slimmed down page count, I'll be using my library of material with little trouble converting over.

I sincerely hope you enjoy 4E.
Wow, that was unnecessarily ridiculous.

I am of the opinion that Pathfinder is succumbing to the sample bias of the most vocal posters on Paizo Publishing's forum, which is by and large virulently hostile to any ideas that smack even slightly of "4th Edition." As a result, I have every belief (sadly) that Pathfinder will continue the proud tradition of making Wizard the uberclass, with CoDZilla close behind, and giving fighty classes little or nothing in the way of utility past level 9.

Firevalkyrie

First Post
Sunderstone said:
Thats what the good folks at WotC told us when they announced 4E. Your game is broken, even if it works for you. You need to move on to our upcoming shiny 4E. You will like 4E because we say it'll be better.

umm.... no.
Even though the problems WotC identified with 3E were commonly identified and complained-about problems well before the announcement, but why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

doghead

thotd
OGL - Pathfinder

Wow. Some people really do have their underpants on too tight.

Thanks Psion for the design stuff. I wonder which of the two - compatibility or improvement has the highest priority. I think it is a choice that is going to a have significant impact on the end result.

I still can't connect to Paizo. I think I might have cookie issues. I clear those in a minute.

BTW, what is CoDZilla? It has something to do with the cleric I suspect.

doghead
aka thotd

crow81

First Post
The main problem I have with the WotC decision is they made it in 2005 that means every product they put out after the day they started working on 4e had a diminishing shelf life. Players put up with the 3.0 to 3.5 rehash because it was believed that the game was made better. 3.5 was given a 5 year run by WotC and it deserves more. The system is better than that. I am just shock to see how many people are on the new edition band wagon when the record of quality at WotC has been inconsistent. Goto to the wizard's web site how much errata does it take to convince players that quality isn't their first priority. Play testing for 4e was rushed. DDXP delves had huge flaws such as "Paladin's Mark" and that was only playing at first level. The first 4e splat book is scheduled for 2008 before people even learn the rules

I for have seen the sights from this merry-go-round and have decided to get off

Viva le Pathfinder

Psion

Adventurer
Firevalkyrie said:
Even though the problems WotC identified with 3E were commonly identified and complained-about problems well before the announcement, but why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

What about the people who weren't complaining? :cool:

Firevalkyrie said:
In that case, congratulations, you've just become a statistical outlier ;)
Even people that identify problems don't always complain. ;) I don't think I complained that much on the web, for example, though I remember that at least since the times of Arcana Evolved, I developed a deep hatred for the Grapple rules (and not because they were complicated, but because of the incredible bad balance issues it created with larger monsters vs NPCs), and I dreaded adventure (or rater: NPC) preparation...

But if Psion is saying there are no problems for him, and he never complained, yes, he's probably a statistical outlier.

Remove ads