Nellisir said:I'm not trying to pile on here, but I think the problem is that you haven't got enough information, not that you're a dissenting voice. Before today, the Pathfinder RPG market was 0, because there was no Pathfinder RPG. Now they've got a potential market of thousands. If the Pathfinder RPG core book gets 10% of the 3.5-playing crowd, it'll probably be the best selling 3rd-party OGL book ever.
The fact is, there's a market for "nostalgic" game editions -and- D&D variant games - Hackmaster, OSRIC, C&C, Arcana Evolved, Spycraft, Thieves' World, Black Company, Conan - all have proven that. Pathfinder could be both, AND a continuation of 3.5, an existing and popular ruleset. The 3rd-party market is already shrinking, and 4e is going to shrink it further. That's an opportunity for Paizo. Creating a "Pathfinder" license could also allow them to leverage the OGL into garnering support from other companies - Pathfinder Conan, for instance.
I was going to comment on this as well. I am not sure if their sales will be better or not. But lets say their is 100K people that buy 3e stuff or did. Lets say Paizo sold to 10% of them or 10k. If when 4e comes out and keeps 80% of the players, the other 20% most of them will likely stick with 3.x like those that didn't move on from 1e and 2e found C&C and hackmaster ect to play. So if even most of that 20% jumps on with Paizo they will have a big increase. If even half does they break even.
I am not saying they will or won't make more money. Only that they use to have a small piece of a very big pie and now they will have a huge piece of a much smaller pie. With the OGL and them keeping Pathfinder RPG OGL. If they can get some other companies to join up. Like say TrueD20 adapts or Conan D20 does, or even just all those little 3e companies out their that make splat books. If the GSL is to restrictive it gives all the other current 3e companies big and small a choice.
Plus I think things are different and not like the switch from 2e to 3e was. 2e was dieing off, other companies like White Wolf was storming the gates. 3e came out and retook things back and became the big boy on the block again. This time while some people have left 3e I think the numbers are MUCH smaller than those that had left 2e and I think those unhappy with 3e is smaller. Most of them don't have major complaints about 3e but a lot of little ones which they new game might fix.
I just wanted to point all this out. In the end i don't know if I will play Pathfinder RPG, 4e or go back to Rolemaster or something. But I will try both and see and either way i will almost for sure keep buying Paizo stuff and adopting it to which ever system I play. As long as it is good products, this move makes me like them as a company even more than I did even if I don't end up playing Pathfinder RPG.