Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Open Reference: Looking for feedback

devonjones

First Post
I've spent the past few months building an android tablet and phone app to create a quick reference for Pathfinder using the PSRD as the base. I'm getting ready to release it (for free), but I want to get some wider feedback from people outside my gaming group.

The reference is a tool to give you searchable access to the full PSRD:
  • Core Rulebook
  • Advanced Player's Guide
  • Ultimate Magic
  • Ultimate Combat
  • Gamemastery Guide
  • Bestiary 1-3

Other Features:
  • Allows you to create bookmark collections. For example, you can bookmark certain passages that you want quick access to as a GM, and create another collection for a specific character, giving you quick access to the rules that are important for running that character.
  • Has 22000 rule snippets allowing you to access over 14000 discrete rule topics. Including: 718 Feats, 1266 Spells, 975 Monsters, 44 Classes and a ton more.
  • Allows you to hone in the passages that matter for what's going on in game now. Every title in every article is a link that lets you just see/bookmark that section.
  • Powerful and fast search lets you find the rule you need, quickly.

The application's home page is here. You can also go to it's Github repo page.

For tablets, it has been tested on the Transformer Prime, Nook Color, Kindle Fire and the OG Galaxy Tab. For phones, it has been tested on the Galaxy Nexus. I have verified that it functions on android 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 & 4.0. For Nook Color/Kindle Fire until I get it into the Barnes & Noble/Amazon markets, you probably will only be able to install it on rooted devices with the setting "Allow installation of non-Market apps" enabled.

So, without further ado, if you have a device this will work in, please, Download the application and let me know what you think. (for non google play installs, you can install it from here.

Note: I do not have any IOS devices, nor do I have a mac to code on to port this to the iPad/iPhone. It /is/ an open source project, so I would welcome someone who wanted to take this to those devices, but I don't have the resources to.

EDIT: The application is now available from google play. The application is also now a tablet and phone app.

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
So far it's working well on my non-rooted Xoom running ICS 4.04. I like it quite a bit so far - certainly better than the SRDs at Paizo or d20pfsrd on my tablet. Kudos!

devonjones

First Post
I'm glad you like it!

Anything you have noted so far as an irritation? I think I'm going to add level tabs to any spell list. Trying to scroll down to level 9 spells takes an unfortunate amount of time.

devonjones

First Post
Looks great on my Kindle Fire but only seems to work in Landscape?
I have it pinned to landscape for now on anything smaller then 10". the side bar is basically unusable at 7" in portrait, so I plan on having it only show the present screen in portrait. This is how I plan on making it work for phones (landscape or portrait), so the feature is coming, just not there yet.

devonjones

First Post
I already have two other apps for android that do the same thing, this app only beats the other two on price
Would you mind expanding on that? What are the other two apps? What do you feel makes them better? Is there anything this app does that you feel is better designed then the other two?

Are there any features you think this app is missing that the other two hit on?

SteelDraco

First Post
I personally would love to be able to add content. That'd make it much more useful for me, if I could add new classes/feats/etc in a standardized format I could bring in Not sure how viable that is, though.

devonjones

First Post
I personally would love to be able to add content. That'd make it much more useful for me, if I could add new classes/feats/etc in a standardized format I could bring in Not sure how viable that is, though.
It's not impossible. The whole db is loaded via a set of .json files that are generated off of the PFSRD. I was planning on some point making it so that the content could be updated without having to update the app. I could possibly reuse that to create an editor that allows people to add their own content to their install.

I'll seriously consider it, thanks!

Remove ads