WotC Pax Unplugged D&D Presents Panel teasers about 2020

Spelljammer + infernal planes = D&D version of Doom Eternal.

---

If the Spelljammer is the next... will it be with a new class? And you can bet we will see DM Guild with new crazy ideas about space fantasy for Spelljammer, for example biopunk lifeshaper organic-technology (as the bionodis). And fan-art adapting Starfinder, or alien races from d20 Future (and other famous sci-fi franchises).

In the right hands a Spelljammer videogame can be a smashing-hit as Dead Space or Mass Effect, and we shouldn't forget the toys. A D&D version of Cobra-La, the archienemies of G.I.Joe would be awesome (or the red shadows).

And I have said in the past the "magic tech" in Spelljammer will be like a playtesting of modern technology for a future d20 Modern 2.0.

gyor

Legend
It's not so much a statement as an observation on the timeline. The game is set after the events of The Crystal Shard. Which happened sometime back in second edition.

It could still use 5e inspired rules (but that's not likely given the genre)

That is a good answer for me, thanks.

Levistus, the imprisoned lord of Stygia...that's an interesting story that's been floating along in the lore for a while, without it ever being mentioned in "actionable" form - that is to say, part of an adventure (or at least, not that I've seen).

I could see needing to thwart his agents' attempt to free him as something spanning the planes, not just limited to the Nine Hells. That being said, I wouldn't object to adventuring in the frozen seas of Styiga. It's also the realm of Sekolah, which would tie back to Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yeah the Levistus comment was more related to ice powers and its usage generally, very little was said about Levistus himself. So it could be about more Nine Hells, could just as easily be something related to an adventure (or part of an adventure) in a frosty land.

I actually find the Spelljammer comment way more interesting, because although it is a common joke, there have been a lot of comments this past year about Spelljammer and mindflayers... plus this comment read less of a joke and more of a statement.

I could easily see these two comments as related, and one of the locations in this Spelljammer adventure is one that is very cold (a desolate moon or something).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Teasing Spelljammer is a running joke at WotC. I wouldn't read anything into it at all.

I wouldn't not read anything into it, either: it's the perfect running gag because it could go serious at any time. They've already put Spelljamming into released products, and more eventually is likely.

Remove ads