• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paying for Commisioned Art. Who's done it?

Cyclops

First Post
OK, I'm not getting any response for free art below:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56588

So the next step is to PAY someone for art.
Who has done this? Any good sites That offer commission work?
How long does it take? What are average prices?

Any advice for a first time art purchase?

I just want a character portrait: 2 characters and a foreground.
Are there artists out there familiar with D&D?

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
I recently commissioned a group picture from Alan McFarlane on this messageboard. I am very pleased with the work he did. You can see his thread here for some samples of his work.

Otey

First Post
Illusstrator-4-hire

If your really looking to commision some artwork, check out my website and follow the links to my art gallery.
If you like what you see emailme and will discuss what you want and what it will cost ( for a charadter portrait it will probably be inexpensive.

Otey

Otey Illustrations website

Otey Email

alsih2o

First Post
doc midnight did a piece of my character in trade, but i have had a slightly difficult time pinning him down on exactly what i am trading him :)

great work tho :)

Storn

Explorer
I've never paid for a commission. But I have done probably a hundred or so, maybe more. I think everyone has been pretty happy with what they got... I keep getting commissions.

My website is:
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/

Look under character commissions and doodles. Doodles has lots of characters from my own games.

My advice is not only talk about the physical appearance and equipment, but what kind of attitude you want in a character portrait. Happy, suave, mean... I dunno... its your character.

Wren

First Post
i also do character portraits on commission for a very reasonable price. Follow the link in my sig to browse thru my work and if you like what you see, shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss prices and such. :)

cleavthorn

Explorer
I can do character portraits. check out my site at

www.jessemohn.com

I charge by the page size. If you just want it electrornic, you could get away with somewhere in the $15-$20 range
If you want an original, the price goes up. Contact me if you or anyone else is intersted. Use the header "ARRT" so I don't accidently throw it away.

Happy Gaming!

IssakThePale

First Post
commisioned artworkd

Hi all-
I have commisioned vShane to do artwork. A wonderful guy and awesome artist. I have all his PDF art books and that is why I contacted him. I liked his style. I liked his prices and his fast paced work even more. But alas he got busy with higher paying clients.
You can view the two pieces that he's done for me at CanonFire! Artwork . The price for both pieces were very reasonable - and on the second one I asked for a few adjustments - from rocks to trees and number of bad guys. I'll say that on the Manticore picture I got a steal of a deal, and the Archer was $30.

Becasue Shane's busy, I"m contacting a few others that I've found on the boards here - Alan and Storn. I think that it will benefit us (CanonFire!) to have different artists.

If it's for home use, I suggest picking up vShane's PDF artwork - it's only $5 and you get a few PC portaits and weapons and items galore. You can also pick up LPJ Design artwork for the same price. Although his stuff is certainly different, I think that his stuff is ok as well, but certainly because he gives non-major publishers the right to re-use his artwork. Which is a plus to him as other potential employers may see his work.

I hope that answers your questions - I think that having artwork paid for is better - you can do what you want with it. The only thing better is having a kick'n artist in your gaming group (I did 6 yrs ago and he 6' x 6' poster of the group going through a dungeon [reminded me of the old 1979 TSR Coloring Book center piece] that has hung on my wall for many years).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads