WOIN Paying from Damage Pools, N.E.W

Dysandeus

First Post
Hello! I'm very new to this sytem, and it's my first time running a campaign in N.E.W . I can see that under the combat section it mentions "Paying" to do damage, I don't know if I've just over-read it and I'm confusing myself or if I'm missing something important, but what dice pool am I "paying" out from? If you roll your attribute (I'm assuming depending on the weapon used) + skill + equipment and all of the positional factors and luck (as it mentions on page 166), I assumed that was your damage already, so getting rid of two dice to get two dice of damage reads exactly the same to me, please let me know where I'm going wrong! I greatly appreciate it :D

Last edited:

RobJN

Adventurer
Per the sidebar on p. 166, you're decreasing your attack dice pool to increase the damage dealt (at a 2 -for-1 rate), and/or "paying" to activate an exploit that has a cost (listed in the exploit's description).

Dysandeus

First Post
No, that's your attack roll. You pay out of your attack roll, not your damage roll.
Per the sidebar on p. 166, you're decreasing your attack dice pool to increase the damage dealt (at a 2 -for-1 rate), and/or "paying" to activate an exploit that has a cost (listed in the exploit's description).
Thank you both so much! This is incredibly helpful :D I was concerned I was skipping over some dice pool section but this makes so much more sense now!

Actually after the errata, in all WOIN products, the attack for damage is paid on a 1 for 1 rate.
So for every 1d6 penalty you take for the attack, you gain 1d6 damage

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Hi there Dysandeus and welcome to NEW :)
Another very common mistake with attack pools and paying for damage is to pay dice before capping the dice pool.

First you add attribute+skill+gear dice, then you cut it down to your MDP, then you add boni (from exploits etc.).
The last step is paying dice for damage / exploits.

You should also tell your players that most characters with too specialized skills won't benefit from equipment dice as MDP will limit them too much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases