Payn's Ponderings... Top 10 Essential Albums

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
6. David Bowie - Low

Not just David Bowie fans, but Low fans here in this thread. Loving it

I'm from a different generation than many on ENWorld, so my stuff is often much more recent. This is also probably not an accurate list, but it's what is coming to my mind right now:

• Lifa, by Heilung
  • Californication, by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Heilung is one of my pandemic discoveries. Along with Haim, Wolf Alice, and the Hu.
Glad we got the Peppers in here, my kids basically grew up listening to them, and thus so did I.

Ran out of space to add Rage Against the Machine's eponymous album; and System of A Down Toxicity... (Totally cheating here :) )

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Heilung is one of my pandemic discoveries.
Heilung is a one of a kind band for me. There's definitely others in the same genre; but it has a very unique place in my musical library. It's music that has little value in being understood and is almost entirely felt. It evokes very primal feelings inside me. I find it incredibly therapeutic and efficient at pulling me out of whatever taken hold of my head at the time.

Glad we got the Peppers in here, my kids basically grew up listening to them, and thus so did I.
I could also add John Frusciante's solo album from 2005 if I recall, Curtains. It's a perfect album that's a very transparent window into someone's soul. Magical album.

Here are my rules for answering this-

Obviously, my prior posts demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of music, and I appreciate your correction. I look forward to your next post where you patiently explain, as if I was a slightly dumb golden retriever, that some artists have more than one album.
Little Richard and Chuck Berry, amongst others, think your rules suck.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Little Richard and Chuck Berry, amongst others, think your rules suck.

I'm sure Dolly Parton, Ornette Colman, Benny Goodman, Maria Callas, Hank Williams Sr., James Brown, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Peggy Lee, Woodie Guthrie, Lead Belly and many others understand that I created exclusionary criteria because 10 albums is hard to do. Something I'm sure you'd understand if you'd bother making your own. But hey, you do you. Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors.

Last edited:

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
As opposed to meaningless bleatings. But I am still looking forward to your post where, you know, you actually put forward a competent list! Or where you pay attention to the fact that I had multiple criteria! But hey- not holding my breath.

Heck, let's see your top 10. Or wait- just here to argue? I appreciate your teaching me that I am not allowed to create my own criteria for my own lists! Thank you for that amazing edification! You must be so proud of yourself. You get all the points today.
holding breath ===> Mind Blank ( whereas Telepathy ===> Thought Shield )

( just in case )

:)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I could also add John Frusciante's solo album from 2005 if I recall, Curtains. It's a perfect album that's a very transparent window into someone's soul. Magical album.

I was going to mention this- if you're an RHCP fan, you probably already know this, but still ...

Frusciante rejoined the band and they have released their new album (Unlimited Love). They are doing a stadium tour this summer, and the opener is The Strokes.

If you're like me, you're super-excited, and I recommend getting tix immediately. I did. :)

(I haven't seen RHCP live since the 90s ....)

Edit- given the longevity of bands like the Stones, you never want to say never, but between Frusciante's frequent absences (the last one was 10 years and just ended) and increasing age, I'm not sure how much longer we'll have to see them live. Also? The Strokes!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Thanks for the tip on the RHCP tour! Think we might see them in Vegas. Locally, HAIM and Beck are opening for them (depending on whether I go to LA or San Diego). But the Vegas date matches up with my schedule better. I would prefer either of those frankly over the Strokes, but RHCP is the focus

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Thanks for the tip on the RHCP tour! Think we might see them in Vegas. Locally, HAIM and Beck are opening for them (depending on whether I go to LA or San Diego). But the Vegas date matches up with my schedule better. I would prefer either of those frankly over the Strokes, but RHCP is the focus
Oh man, RHCP, Haim, and Beck in one show would be incredible.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Greetings,

So, local public radio channel The Current is doing their spring drive. They collect ballots from listeners and the public and compile a list to play on the radio/stream for a week as they count down. It's a lot of fun listening to see when your songs/albums drop. In the past they have done; top 893 debut albums, top 893 songs of all time, top 893 bands, etc...

This year it is top essential albums of all time. The ballot only allows 10 (which is very very difficult to come down to for me...) so for this thread that's our rule. What are your top 10 essential albums of all time. (By essential I'm guessing it's albums you cant live without. What are you taking to your deserted island?) This is about albums so keep that in mind as the complete work and not just folks you really like!

Mine.
  1. Tom Waits-Rain Dogs
  2. George Harrison-All Things Must Pass
  3. Led zeppelin II
  4. Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique
  5. Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride II
  6. Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  7. Buena Vista Social Club
  8. Johnny Cash-American Music Vol. IV
  9. Dwight Yokham Guitars, Cadillacs, etc...etc...
  10. B-52's-Self Titled
*I reserve the right to change this for the next week or so while I have time to change my Current ballot.

Cheers!

Complied playlist
The playlist doesn't appear when I search. Is it something we can subscribe to?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The playlist doesn't appear when I search. Is it something we can subscribe to?
Strange I have it shared, and when I log out and click it takes me right to the playlist. Do you have a firewall up or are using a work PC? Are you in the U.S.?

Remove ads