• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Payn's Ponderings... Top 10 Essential Albums

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
What's funny is I can talk all day about what albums I feel are "best," but the proof is in the playlist. And the albums I listen to most often are:

Pink Floyd: Wish You We're Here
The Cure: Wish
Ramones: Pleasant Dreams
Charlie Hunter: Songs from the Analog Playground
Dream Theater: Scenes From A Memory Saul Williams: Saul Williams
Ace of Base: Flowers
Green Day: American Idiot
REM: New Adventures in Hi-Fi
White Zombie: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One

Sad lack of girls there. But so it goes I guess.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Findings so far;

George Harrison All Things Must Pass a narrow lead for EN World favorite.
Metallica (I mean c'mon its a gaming site), Warren Zevon, Fleetwood, and U2 (for two different albums) coming up in second place.
Pink Floyd has the most selections, but no repeats
Midnight Oil mentioned twice for different albums
Oh! I didn't know this was a popularity contest. Not that it changes anything for me, but I just listed some of the top essentials for me, and I can't even say they are my actual top 10. (And I honestly don't know that I could whittle it down to 10 anyway.) I may need to rethink my approach... What would Snarf do? :unsure:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh! I didn't know this was a popularity contest. Not that it changes anything for me, but I just listed some of the top essentials for me, and I can't even say they are my actual top 10. (And I honestly don't know that I could whittle it down to 10 anyway.) I may need to rethink my approach... What would Snarf do? :unsure:
It's not, this is just for conversation.

Doing this one fast so I don't overthink it...

1 - David Bowie "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
2 - Bauhaus "Burning From the Inside"
3 - Skinny Puppy "Rabies"
4 - Rhapsody of Fire "Triumph or Agony"
5 - Tom Waits "Mule Variations"
6 - Howard Shore "The Fellowship of the Ring"
7 - Basil Poledouris "Conan the Barbarian"
8 - Das Ich "Die Propheten"
9 - Dio "Holy Diver"
10 - Black Sabbath "Paranoid"

There's some stuff that got edged out but probably should be on it, like Ministry's "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" and Brighter Death Now's "Greatest Death."

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Sad lack of girls there. But so it goes I guess.

Snarf's Top 10 Female Artist Albums, following Snarf's Previous Rules:

1. Third, Portishead. I'm totally cheating, but this gets me TWO Portishead albums. If you ever asked yourself, "How can a band make albums that sound completely different, yet always remain identifiably that band?" then you're ready to listen to Portishead.

2. Live Through This, Hole. When you're done playing by the rules society has placed on you, and just need to lash out.

3. The Dreaming, Kate Bush. I really wanted to put Aerial in this spot (Washing Machine .... will always be in my head) but this is what would happen if you take the second half of Hounds of Love and made it into a full album. Woah. Wait. You know what?

CHANGE UP!

3. Hounds of Love, Kate Bush. Remember when "records" had sides? Actually, vinyl is back, so you do remember! It's not just an amazing album, it's two amazing albums. Come for the first half that you remember (the ethereal pop of Cloudbusting and Running up that Hill) and stay for the superior and devastating second half and feel the water close over you.

4. Kala, M.I.A. Powerful and uncompromising and sounding like nothing else at the time. This is the soundtrack to a revolution in a place in a place you've never been.

5. The Woods, Sleater-Kinney. Another tough call. My personal favorite, and most consistent album, is All Hands on the Bad One. The best, and rawest, sound is definitely Dig Me Out. But this is the sound of a band being challenged to evolve, and not just meeting the challenge, but aggressively overcoming it.

6. Blue, Joni Mitchell. Not including Joni Mitchell on this list would be sacrilege. Court and Spark? Hejira? Great albums, but this is one of the all-time greatest for a reason. Every person who listens to this album knows that it speaks to them, and them alone.

7. Back to Black, Amy Winehouse. Most great artists have the talent to give you something you never realized you wanted. But that wasn't Amy. Her talent was different. When you heard her music for the first time, you realized that you had always known it, and that it had always been a part of your existence.

8. Like a Virgin, Madonna. You'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with any of the four albums that formed her supernova explosion in the 80s (Madonna, Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer) but I'm going with the one that first cemented her into the mainstream.

9. CrazySexyCool, TLC. If you've heard any pop music after 1994, you've heard this album.

10. Future Nostalgia, Dua Lipa. Too soon? No. Straight-up bangers, from the first track to the last track. To hear this album is to love it.

Honorable mentions (artists)-
Billie Eilish, The Distillers, Patti Smith, Missy Elliot, Beyoncé, Adele, Taylor Swift (!!!), Janis, Lauryn Hill, Carole King, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Björk, St. Vincent.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Doing this one fast so I don't overthink it...

5 - Tom Waits "Mule Variations"
6 - Howard Shore "The Fellowship of the Ring"
7 - Basil Poledouris "Conan the Barbarian"
8 - Das Ich "Die Propheten"
9 - Dio "Holy Diver"
10 - Black Sabbath "Paranoid"

There's some stuff that got edged out but probably should be on it, like Ministry's "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" and Brighter Death Now's "Greatest Death."
Conan, a Thief/Warrior/Gladiator/King !

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Snarf's Top 10 Female Artist Albums, following Snarf's Previous Rules:
I like where this is going;

Babes in Toyland-Spanking Machine Lets get this started with a bang. There would be no Hole or Sleater-Kinney without the Babes. Period. This all lady rock band combined the sounds of rock and metal into an early era grundge. Pioneers of the female band in the 80/90's.

PJ Harvey-Dry Just the beginning of a great career guitarist, emo-laden vocalist, activist, etc... What cant PJ do?

Liz Phair-Exile in Guylville Liz did what a lot of ladies did, but had a more polished veneer to her final product. Impressive to see a solo act leading alternative out of the new wave era. Its not all smooth with Liz either (F and run since 14...)

Nina Simmone-Pastel Blues Nina was a great voice in music and activism. She had an uncanny sense about her that let her go into well to do white audiences and drop a whole lotta politics on them. I mean, how genius was Mississippi God Damn? Not even on the album but gotta mention it. Pastel Blues just happens to be my favorite recordings from Nina which is very hard to narrow down.

Ella Fitzgerald-Get Happy Ella is sort of an opposite to Nina. She was always joyful and optimistic. A voice like silk and ability to brighten up any blue sky.

Heart-Little Queen So, all these dudes hard rocking out of the 70's into the 80's and where are the ladies? Right here is the answer from Heart. Just solid rock tunes that pass the test of time decade after decade.

Lauren Hill-The miseducation of Lauren Hill I certainly dont want Lauren's kids to starve but I gotta have that album! The female activist voice in music had all but been drowned out. Lauren comes in with a sledgehammer and lays it on us. The best of the Fugees indeed.

Neheh Cherry-Raw like Sushi So, is Neheh English? Spanish? Who knows but her music is an incredible melting pot of 80/90's hip hop. A real pop sensability while holding onto cultural beats that were sadly missing at the time as music moved into a standardized product.

Kate Bush-The Whole Story Not many women were doing it their way in the 80's. I mean, Kate just picked up where Joni and King left off and added some synth for good measure. A long and great career that really was rolling at this point in the 80's Just admirable.

Feist-Pleasure Last, but not least, Feist. Thats right the Apple commercial 3..2..1 chick. Of course, those who know Fiest also know she is a kick ass guitar player. I mean, her Gibson SG has gouges of wood missing from her shredding the damn thing. Pleasure is a semiconcept album that really hits hard in the center of indie rock and leaves no doubt that Feist is a great musician and writer. Best female album hands down in quite some time. Dont sleep on this!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Lauren Hill-.... The best of the Fugees indeed.

59d6c5c5-4f46-4ae3-a670-f6a618c8174f_text.gif

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Greetings,

So, local public radio channel The Current is doing their spring drive. They collect ballots from listeners and the public and compile a list to play on the radio/stream for a week as they count down. It's a lot of fun listening to see when your songs/albums drop. In the past they have done; top 893 debut albums, top 893 songs of all time, top 893 bands, etc...

This year it is top essential albums of all time. The ballot only allows 10 (which is very very difficult to come down to for me...) so for this thread that's our rule. What are your top 10 essential albums of all time. (By essential I'm guessing it's albums you cant live without. What are you taking to your deserted island?) This is about albums so keep that in mind as the complete work and not just folks you really like!

Mine.
  1. Tom Waits-Rain Dogs
  2. George Harrison-All Things Must Pass
  3. Led zeppelin II
  4. Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique
  5. Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride II
  6. Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  7. Buena Vista Social Club
  8. Johnny Cash-American Music Vol. IV
  9. Dwight Yokham Guitars, Cadillacs, etc...etc...
  10. B-52's-Self Titled
*I reserve the right to change this for the next week or so while I have time to change my Current ballot.

Cheers!

Complied playlist
Didn't the Current do this a few years ago, or am I recalling incorrectly?

I mean, I still listen, and moved to Oregon 6 years ago......and by still listen I literally am listening now...

Remove ads