Payn's Ponderings... Top 10 Essential Albums

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've already done my list thus don't get to put in an all-female one, but I have to express surprise that in the all-female lists thus far there's nary a mention of either Patti Smith or Nightwish

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've already done my list thus don't get to put in an all-female one, but I have to express surprise that in the all-female lists thus far there's nary a mention of either Patti Smith or Nightwish
You can certainly do an all female list if you'd like.

I love Patti Smith, but I'm working with top albums here and only 10, so all stars do and can get bumped. Not a Nightwish fan, but didn't they also have like 3-4 different singers?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think a lot of us are doing an overall one and an all-female one.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, here's what I got. A little bit of everything, for just about every mood.

1. Massive Attack, "Mezzanine."
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Revival."
3. They Might Be Giants, "Flood"
4. Cake, "Fashion Nugget"
5. Counting Crows, "August and Everything After"
6. The Airborne Toxic Event, self-titled
7. Moby, "Play"
8. Adelle, "30"
9. Of Monsters and Men, "Dirty Paws"
10. Aurora, "Running With the Wolves"

Retreater

Legend
This is an unusually good song from Paul. I never knew Screamin Jay Hawkins covered Monkberry Moon Delight in 72'...
I was so proud to have introduced this song to my wife at karaoke. She thought I'd lost my mind - which was a big feat.
Screamin' Jay Hawkins is amazing - I just can't match his vocal style. I tried to do his "I Put a Spell on You" but couldn't do it justice. I read that McCartney wrote Monkberry with Hawkins in mind, and it definitely suits him.

payn

I was so proud to have introduced this song to my wife at karaoke. She thought I'd lost my mind - which was a big feat.
Screamin' Jay Hawkins is amazing - I just can't match his vocal style. I tried to do his "I Put a Spell on You" but couldn't do it justice. I read that McCartney wrote Monkberry with Hawkins in mind, and it definitely suits him.
I've been in a lot of dive bars and not seen this particular selection offered for karaoke.

Retreater

Legend
I've been in a lot of dive bars and not seen this particular selection offered for karaoke.
The KJ was a friend of mine who would download stuff I requested, and he even helped me pull off my karaoke marriage proposal.
I enjoy performing strange music: "Rasputin" by Boney M., "Eat It" (sung over "Beat It" with the Weird Al lyrics), "P*ss up a Rope" by Ween, "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco (in German). Then I did ventriloquism duets with a monkey puppet for "Ape Man" by the Kinks and "Coconut" by Harry Nilsson.

Richards

Legend
Ten, huh? Okay, here goes (in no particular order):

1. The Serpent's Egg - Dead Can Dance
2. Automatic - VNV Nation
3. Amused to Death - Roger Waters
4. In Visible Silence - The Art of Noise
5. Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
6. Joe's Garage, Act I - Frank Zappa
7. Prototype Two - zer0 0ne
8. Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass
9. Are You Shpongled? - Shpongle
10. Fire Garden - Steve Vai

Wow, ten went pretty quickly there! I ended up swapping out a few just to nominate some that hadn't shown up on previous lists, but there was no way I could have left off "The Serpent's Egg" in good conscience. I also made a conscious effort not to list multiple albums from the same group, although I easily could have (in particular with Dead Can Dance and Shpongle).

Johnathan

payn

The KJ was a friend of mine who would download stuff I requested, and he even helped me pull off my karaoke marriage proposal.
I enjoy performing strange music: "Rasputin" by Boney M., "Eat It" (sung over "Beat It" with the Weird Al lyrics), "P*ss up a Rope" by Ween, "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco (in German). Then I did ventriloquism duets with a monkey puppet for "Ape Man" by the Kinks and "Coconut" by Harry Nilsson.
I did Short People by Randy Neuman a few weeks ago. Folks didn't know it, but had a riot with it.

Remove ads