Payn's Ponderings... Top 10 Essential Albums

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ok, I promised one final post. Here are the top 10 Current listeners essential albums.

1. Purple Rain - Prince (A great musician belongs on the list. Obvious home field advantage)
  2. Nevermind - Nirvana (Exact same place as 5 years ago)
  3. Blue - Joni Mitchel (Ok super surprise this wasnt close 5 years ago. Very interesting uptick)
  4. Abbey Road - Beatles (Totally expected has always been in the top 10)
  5. London Calling Clash (Slipped from #1 5 years ago to #5)
  6. Rumors - Fleetwood (Meh, dont mind Fleetwood but not sure why the surge or placement on any list?)
  7. Ziggy Stardust - Bowie (I voted for Hunky Dory but nice to see Bowie climbing the ranks)
  8. I never loved a man the way I love you - Aretha Franklin (Super interesting another major climber to the top 10)
  9. Joshua Tree - U2 (This was like 40 years ago can we forget about it yet? Congratz guys on making the top 10 this time)
  10. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (Ok, super interesting, first time a Jazz record cracked the top 10!)
See y'all next year.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Greetings,

So, local public radio channel The Current is doing their spring drive. They collect ballots from listeners and the public and compile a list to play on the radio/stream for a week as they count down. It's a lot of fun listening to see when your songs/albums drop. In the past they have done; top 893 debut albums, top 893 songs of all time, top 893 bands, etc...

This year it is top essential albums of all time. The ballot only allows 10 (which is very very difficult to come down to for me...) so for this thread that's our rule. What are your top 10 essential albums of all time. (By essential I'm guessing it's albums you cant live without. What are you taking to your deserted island?) This is about albums so keep that in mind as the complete work and not just folks you really like!

This list is my "essential" list. Had it been to list the albums that was most influental on music as such, well I think maybe 1 or 2 on this list would still be there, but it would be a lot of stuff I would not necessarily like as well..

This is hard.. But without order:

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
This is the best instrumental electronic music around

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Their greatest album as far as I remember. I don't listen enough to them enough though.

Hawai'ian Style Band - Vanishing Treasures
Smooth music that makes me feel of summer, and lets me dream of far away places.

Niagara - Quel enfer!
I am talking about the French group that was active in late 80' early 90's, and made vibrant colourful music videos.

Depeche Mode - The Singles 81-85
Here are all their really good songs

Warlock - Triumph and Agony
Good hard metal.

Rammstein - Sehnsucht
Their best album, tied with "Reise, reise".

Mediaeval Baebes - Salva Nos
Their debut album. Very nice harmonies.

Nightwish - Highest hopes
Lots of good songs on that one

Urga - Etanol
Swedish group that sang in an invented language. Very uptempo and quite weird.

Last edited:

Remove ads