PBeM advice

lotuseater

Explorer
hey,

so i'm thinking of starting a play by email campaign, and i was hoping to hear what advice people have to offer. what works, what doesn't, what i should be thinking about to make it a good experience? i'm looking for general advice, about how to keep the campaign focused and moving along, as well as more specific things, for ex. how to share maps and run combat situations, etc.

i'm playing in a pbem campaign now, and there are some aspects i really like, including the chance to really delve in deeply to your characterization, but it also can be come tedious. so i'm going to try and design a campaign where the encounters are well suited to email. i want to create situations where there's more to an encounter than just the fight.

anyway, i know that pbem isn't for everyone, so please don't chime in if all you want to do is complain about the format without offering any constructive suggestions.

thanks.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... some threads in the Talking the Talk forum cover this topic (it's mostly similar to PbP).

Some important observations:

- Remember that not everyone will be able to respond quickly to any given situation, this can either lead to waiting (if a response is absolutely required) or to the DM having to make up a response for the player on some occasions (esp. combat, if not everyone gives a reply in a 1-2 day period, which should be the max for a combat round to have at least some flow left ;)). Generally focus on the responses you have instead of wanting to know what everyone does.

- PbP/PbEM is slow, therefore - if you do not want to have characters stay at the same level with no progress whatsoever for years - you should be generous with XP (basically reducing the amount of encounters needed to level up from the 13 the D&D levels are based upon). For example, normally I give only 1/2 combat XP and decent out-of combat XP (doubling the amount from combat and some more). In my PbP I give full combat XP and more generous out-of combat XP.

- Out of combat, you should respond quickly, if possible. As long as the DM posts regularily, the players usually will do so, too. Even if responses come in slow, don't let yourself get trapped in the down-spiral of slowdown. Rather encourage your players to post more often and keep up the pace to make them want to.

- For the players, of course, this is the same... even if you cannot contribute much, a little post doesn't hurt to show that you are there and to honor the work the DM has with that kind of campaign.

- Maps (or a very detailed description) are crucial to get a good overview in combat. If you prefer tactical combat, maps are a definite must. If you like story-driven combat (that doesn't mean, that tactical combat cannot be combined with in-combat roleplaying) more, then it might work without, but in either case, descriptions should be detailed.

There are plenty options, from using one of the mapping programs out there, to Excel or Photoshop (or similar, like The Gimp (free)), scripted maps (Java Script, that's what I use), or even hand-drawn and scanned maps. As long as it gives a good overview, it works well. Pretty is good, but not necessary.

- Unless the posting frequency is really high, you'll need to use different initiative resolve rules, as it doesn't work well, if you go through the PCs and NPCs turns as normal, waiting for a post each time a new PCs turn comes up. This will just prolong combat to twice or thrice the time needed otherwise. Best to have an action declaration phase at the beginning of combat and then resolve one whole round at a time (keeping in mind, that the previous action declaration might lead to some situations, which lead to an unreasonable response from a PC, if things turn during the round - be most lenient in those cases!). It's good if players give options and conditions with their actions, but sometimes you must make them up. Make sure everyone understands this need beforehand. Also, try to think up actions for your NPCs in the same way (do not post them, but think about them), just to be fair.

About action declarations: I allow the players to "react" to actions posted already with their declaration. That is, even if the action they "react" to comes AFTER their own in the round, so their PCs wouldn't actually know that at the time their own action comes up. I do not consider this metagaming, altho it's similar in a way. For example, if player A states, that his PC moves up to opponent X, player B can then say that her PC will do so, too, if concentrating forces is good (altho her action comes first), or to opponent Y, if it seems better to split up.

This has several reasons. First, it's the order of declaration again... which is not the natural order. Second, it allows the players better to work together as a team and not as a bunch of seperate entities. Third, it's a little compensation for the lack of "table talk".

Bye
Thanee

IronWolf

blank
Thanee has some great advice in his post. Here is a thread with similar questions from the other day in another part of the boards:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112670

(My advice is in that thread along with several other good thougts on the matter by others).

And while Hairo's question is not addressed to me, I'll throw my 2 cents in! To me a PBeM is a little more lightweight than a PbP game. There are some nice organizational benefits of PbP with multiple threads and keeping OOC information out of the IC thread. But email just feels "lighter" to me in use and I tend to prefer a PBeM when I am playing. If you happen to use a Yahoo Group for your mailing list there is an archive ability, place to post files and keep simple databases for when you want to head to a web page to view those things. Seventy-Five to Eighty percent of the time though you can just use a lightweight mail client of your choice to keep up with the list.

A quick mapping tip. If you don't have a map program or the time, set up a grid of periods in Courier font (where everything has even spacing). Then edit the map with lines for walls and letters for characters. It's crude, but it works well on the fly. I spend less time with that for a fast tactical than when I drag out the mapping program.

Varianor Abroad said:
A quick mapping tip. If you don't have a map program or the time, set up a grid of periods in Courier font (where everything has even spacing). Then edit the map with lines for walls and letters for characters. It's crude, but it works well on the fly. I spend less time with that for a fast tactical than when I drag out the mapping program.
Excel or other spreadsheet programs are also very good for simple maps.

lotuseater

Explorer
haiiro said:
Just out of curiosity, why PbEM and not Play-by-Post (PbP)?
the reason that pbem appeals to me is that it seems to give players and the dm a lot more flexibility in the way adventures are handled. characters are able to discuss, act, and plot separately, without everyone else a witness to it. if two characters want to have a conversation, they can do all the back and forth themselves, and then post for everyone else when it's finished. it just seems like a more elegant method of carrying out a campaign.

in fact, i'm curious to know, why pbp? what advantages does it have over pbem?

and thanks for the replies. it's exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

Thanee

First Post
lotuseater said:
the reason that pbem appeals to me is that it seems to give players and the dm a lot more flexibility in the way adventures are handled. characters are able to discuss, act, and plot separately, without everyone else a witness to it. if two characters want to have a conversation, they can do all the back and forth themselves, and then post for everyone else when it's finished. it just seems like a more elegant method of carrying out a campaign.

Well, depends on the forum. I run my PbP in a (german) forum, where every game gets a subforum and every DM gets a moderator position for the respective subforum and where you can freely use private messaging, so all that is possible there, too.

You can get your own forum here, too, as I have seen, and there are numerous sites out there, which provide forums purely for PbP, which surely work the same.

in fact, i'm curious to know, why pbp? what advantages does it have over pbem?

Because it automatically archives the whole information. Mailing lists do that too, to a degree, but not to the same extent as a good forum. And it's a story hour at the same time, too, so others can enjoy it as well. ;) Also, a forum seems better to structure all the information, which makes it easier to find it later, especially if you use multiple threads. And you usually have better/easier options to format text or link pictures in a forum as compared to e-mail.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads