D&D General PC creation freedom and campaign setting fit

What is the right balance between freedom of PC creation and PC fit for a setting and campaign?

• I'm primarily a player and prefer Option #1: "Total Freedom"

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I'm at least as much a DM as a player and prefer Option #1: "Total Freedom"

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I'm primarily a player and prefer Option #2: "Few Limitations"

• I'm at least as much a DM as a player and prefer Option #2: "Few Limitations"

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • I'm primarily a player and prefer Option #3 "Union of Concepts"

• I'm at least as much a DM as a player and prefer Option #3 "Union of Concepts"

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • I'm primarily a player and prefer Option #4 "Custom Characters"

• I'm at least as much a DM as a player and prefer Option #4 "Custom Characters"

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I'm primarily a player and declare Option #5 "CWB Only"

• I'm at least as much a DM as a player and declare Option #5 "CWB Only"

• I'm primarily a player and choose "Other"

• I'm at least as much a DM as a player and choose "Other"

Votes: 5 6.1%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
On a sliding scale, I want a bit more restrictions for campaign/setting necessity than freedom, so I voted for 3. Conceptually everyone should play as if 4, but having the occasional outlier is fine.
That sounds about where I'm at. So, I want a 3.5 choice (as the value in this poll, that is).
----

Voted for three, but though about 4. And I think historically I've been about half DM half player, so that's tough too. Put DM because that's what I'm doing now.

Torranocca

Villager
I have preferences that align with option #3. However, I would also proffer the idea that “ right balance” is by its very a nature, subjective and I would hope that no one goes off on a diatribe about” you don’t get to define “ right” for me! 😶🤪
With that out of the way, what follows is what has worked the best for myself and the players I run for.
I have DMed/ GMed a vast majority of games that I’ve been involved in over the last four odd decades. I don’t particularly enjoy playing RPG characters much and only agree to do so when I am invited to play by someone I already know and like.
As for the games I have run, I create the settings/ worlds/ plots and then either start with friends who are excited or intrigued enough to want to play. I also leave open sign up lists for new players to join in. One of the incentives to play a reasonable character concept is players whose character gets killed or otherwise excluded from the party goals( their own choice in the latter) must sign back up on the bottom of the waiting list, to be fair to everyone waiting to join.
With that said even then, players will be joining a game with my friends or with some established players. I always request new players ( not necessarily new to RPGs, but new to me) to come sit and observe a game session in process to see if it looks like something they would like to try and would fit in with the others, personalities wise. I also like to sit with them talk a bit to get a feel for them. Not truly an interview per se, but sort of, loosely.
I do not run Forgotten Realms or anything vaguely resembling that setting type. This means, settings wise, players most often must choose a character species on offer if more than one is available. In my established AD&D setting a player can choose between four different species and another five ethnicities. I made a conscious decision many many years ago, not to use “ races” and do not allow players to create monster species based characters.
The players creativity can truly bloom by playing and embracing the true uniqueness of the characters personality, motivations and drives. In my experiences all to many “ unique characters races are in truth tropes of “ humans in funny rubber suits” chosen for their game mechanics advantages and little more( throwing the hairy eyeball at you D&D 3.5 😶😂

Last edited:

Remove ads