D&D 5E PC wants to become undead

ElterAgo

Explorer
Ok I have a player whose PC can't stand the thought of eventually becoming old and weak then eventually dying. He want to become an undead and live forever. I am willing to work out something with him for this. He's not sure if his character is vicious enough to sacrifice large job lots of people to become a Lich. Could get turned by a vampire then be a free agent when the creator vampire is destroyed. But the whole "burns in sunlight" thing is a serious weakness.

What other options are there and how would you handle it as a GM? We're still at the looking for ideas stage.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would encourage the player (and character) to find other avenues to immortality, personally. In my games, the PC would become an NPC as soon as they became undead. 🤷‍♂️

But for the sake of trying to be helpful, what class is the PC?

Offhand, my suggestions would be a ghast, wight, or wraith, depending on the player's goals.

Last edited:

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Vampire is probably the easiest and least disruptive way to accomplish what you want. The creator vampire doesn't necessarily have to die for the PC to be a free agent. They can be let off the leash by the parent vampire.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Ok I have a player whose PC can't stand the thought of eventually becoming old and weak then eventually dying. He want to become an undead and live forever. I am willing to work out something with him for this. He's not sure if his character is vicious enough to sacrifice large job lots of people to become a Lich. Could get turned by a vampire then be a free agent when the creator vampire is destroyed. But the whole "burns in sunlight" thing is a serious weakness.

What other options are there and how would you handle it as a GM? We're still at the looking for ideas stage.
they could try for archlich like all properly powerful adevntures.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

If the goal is to avoid getting old and dying, becoming a druid or a warlock of the Undying patron will at least help slow the process significantly. Personally, I wouldn’t allow any method to permanently escape death that wasn’t inherently evil, but that’s a personal moral stance of mine. You could always provide a non-evil path to lichdom if you wanted to,

Iry

Hero
Assuming the player is not looking for a bunch of immunities, you could go for a Juju Zombie. That's not an especially powerful undead, so the player might grumble about not being one of the cool iconic ones, but it would definitely get him thematic immortality. You could also make him a Ghoul and he may have fun roleplaying that, and limiting the ghoul attack to 1 per short rest would be a neat ribbon.

Oofta

Legend
If you do the construct thing, you could change his race to warforged. There's always just a McGuffin they have to go on a quest to find that will grant them immortality.

As far as turning into a vampire and so on, in my campaign they'd become an NPC because I don't want to deal with evil blood sucking PCs. A lich might be possible, but obviously people will have negative reactions and I wouldn't give him any of the special lich abilities.

Remove ads