D&D 5E PC wants to become undead

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Vampires are chaotic evil, can only adventure at night, and will almost certainly operate at cross-purposes to the greater goal of the campaign. Ergo: NPC.
There are good liches and Jander Sunstar was good for centuries. The DM can allow a good vampire into the campaign if he wants. He doesn't have to make it a disruption. The travel at night might be an issue, but there are work arounds for that as well.

If the goal is to avoid getting old and dying, becoming a druid or a warlock of the Undying patron will at least help slow the process significantly. Personally, I wouldn’t allow any method to permanently escape death that wasn’t inherently evil, but that’s a personal moral stance of mine. You could always provide a non-evil path to lichdom if you wanted to,
Non evil archliches used to be a thing in previous editions.

Voadam

Legend
There are good liches and Jander Sunstar was good for centuries. The DM can allow a good vampire into the campaign if he wants. He doesn't have to make it a disruption. The travel at night might be an issue, but there are work arounds for that as well.
Pre-5e liches did not need to sacrifice souls to maintain their undead status and stave off demi-lich status. It was easier to be non-evil when they just existed and did not need to be doing periodic soul sacrifices.

The closest I think I have seen in 5e is the Eberron undying elven stuff.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Pre-5e liches did not need to sacrifice souls to maintain their undead status and stave off demi-lich status. It was easier to be non-evil when they just existed and did not need to be doing periodic soul sacrifices.

The closest I think I have seen in 5e is the Eberron undying elven stuff.
Sure, but the DM can easily just say that there are Baelnorn in 5e and have them not sacrifice souls. It's a literal snap of the fingers for the DM to accomplish. Really, I think it's just a matter of time before Baelnorn and/or Archliches show up in 5e officially anyway.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Thing is not all vampires gave to created the same way in a multiverse.

Nanotech vampires, virus, mystical disease, possessed. All kinds of ways, just have the use another method.

Remove ads