• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDF - Portrait or Landscape

PDF - Portrait or Landscape

• Portrait

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Landscape

Votes: 81 64.8%

Scribble

First Post
Someone should do a survey about the formatting based on what type of product it is.

Something like a monster book in my opinion would be best in landscape, because (if you're like me) I mostly use monster books in my game prep, and that takes place mostly on the computer.

Something used mainly at the table though, would be better in portrait, because you're more likely to print it out.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Portrait. I like to be able to read with "Fit Width". But I don't care much for the columns and would prefer less like a newspaper from a book.

Klaus

First Post
Portrait all the way. Reading on a screen sucks and is bad for your eyes. Anything that I'm interested in reading, I print out.

If landscape, then it should be sized to fit into a printed landscape page.

Asmor

First Post
Landscape all the way.

Hell, I'll even go a step further... Why the heck does anyone prefer portrait for printing out, other than the fact that that's what you're used to?

I recently printed out the Last Breaths of Ashenport adventure from Dungeon, which of course is in landscape format, and I found that the landscape nature worked really, really well at the table. I don't know how your tables are laid out, but at mine I've got ample horizontal space and limited vertical space. Landscape fits a lot better for me.

So basically, what it comes down to is this:

Portrait is best when you have ample vertical space and limited horizontal space. For example... uhh... Never. For example, you could fit more rows on your bookshelf and hold more books if they were all printed in landscape.

Landscape is best when you have ample horizontal space and limited vertical space, such as on computer monitors and most real-world situations I can imagine.

So why the hell is anything done in portrait mode again?

Remove ads