D&D 5E PDFs and Next

delericho

Legend
From the look of things I've read, this isn't so much about ignorance as it may be about licensing. Considering all of their other PDFs are still up, it's certainly not Cubicle 7 trying to stem the tide of piracy.

Ah well. It's their license and they're within their rights. The market will decide whether to support the decision or not.

Still, things like this really make me question the value of any licensed RPG. It really starts to feel like you're better without the license, and that way you can develop the game as you wish. But then, I don't know how many extra sales a LotR, SW, or DC superheroes license is worth...

IronWolf

blank
Ah well. It's their license and they're within their rights. The market will decide whether to support the decision or not.

The only one getting hurt here is Cubicle 7. I seriously doubt they *wanted* to pull the PDFs. I think most RPG companies realize that PDFs are wanted by at least some of the consumers.

The license holders aren't apt to see the effect since Cubicle 7 is going to bear the brunt of this loss. I don't see how the market comes into play on this one to the actual license holder due to how small the RPG market is.

delericho said:
Still, things like this really make me question the value of any licensed RPG. It really starts to feel like you're better without the license, and that way you can develop the game as you wish. But then, I don't know how many extra sales a LotR, SW, or DC superheroes license is worth...

Yeah - the licenses seem more trouble than they are worth.

delericho

Legend
The only one getting hurt here is Cubicle 7. I seriously doubt they *wanted* to pull the PDFs. I think most RPG companies realize that PDFs are wanted by at least some of the consumers.

Yeah, it sucks for Cublicle 7. No doubt about that. Unfortunately, what can you do? The license-holders made a call, and that's that.

Shame.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yes, we can't have dwarves with beards, what will the 15-year old girl demographic do with that?!

???????

EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has a beard. Not the exact same beard, but a beard nonetheless.

the-hobbit-dwarves_a_l.jpg

If you want anyone to take anything you say seriously maybe you should get the facts straight instead of complaining about something that simply isn't true.

Steely_Dan

First Post
???????

EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has a beard. Not the exact same beard, but a beard nonetheless.

the-hobbit-dwarves_a_l.jpg

If you want anyone to take anything you say seriously maybe you should get the facts straight instead of complaining about something that simply isn't true.

Ha, please send your crusade home.

Steve Long had some things to say about that. He isn't a stranger to licensed games (Star Trek, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings) and said that Hero was not going to do those because of the difficulty. Getting OK from IP owner about content or art (which could take a while), the cost of the license and other factors.

The only reason they did a PS238 RPG was that the creator of the comic contacted them.

Herschel

Adventurer
Ha, please send your crusade home.

My crusade? Expecting a modicum of accuracy is somehow bad? A three-word, 10-second Google search, select, copy & insert showed your complaint has no merit. Had they not actually had beards, I can see see it because Dwarves (stereo) typically do have them. But they all do in this case (with really easy photographic proof) yet you and others complain they don't.

When you complain about something it helps for what you complain about to actually exist (or in this case, not exists I suppose. :p). But then that's nothing new in the edition wars. Facts are usually the first casualty.

Back on subject: I would be really curious to see what their data shows about pdf/e-book demand. Obviously we're not going to get it but it would be interesting to see how they arrive at those decisions.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases