Pennyworth trailer (new DC Series on EPIX)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I came a cross this and it looks good, appears from the Trailer to be the backstory of how Alfred Pennyworth came into the employ of Mr Thomas Wayne
its on Epix (which I've never heard of so that doesnt bode well) - has anyone seen it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's about 5 episodes in. It's not bad. Beautiful period sets and costumes. The lead actor is doing his best Michael Caine impersonation, and is doing it fairly well. Paloma Faith is in it, and chewing the scenery.

I am up to Episode 04, and I like it so far, too.
Going for a Michael Caine impersonation wasn't a bad choice.

Unless I am completely wrong, it feels however that it is also a bit "alt-history", isn't it? It seemed in episode 4 they mentioned something about a Reichs Chancellor in Germany, which... well, we don't have Reich-anything anymore since 45. And maybe more obvious to Brits, the pillories or public executions (or executions at all?) didn't happen in the 60s anymore, either. I mean, DC's history must always be a bit "alt-history", since Metropolis and Gotham City would also be cities that are hard to miss, a place like Sunnydale is more easily a town you just never heard about before...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am up to Episode 04, and I like it so far, too.
Going for a Michael Caine impersonation wasn't a bad choice.

Unless I am completely wrong, it feels however that it is also a bit "alt-history", isn't it? It seemed in episode 4 they mentioned something about a Reichs Chancellor in Germany, which... well, we don't have Reich-anything anymore since 45. And maybe more obvious to Brits, the pillories or public executions (or executions at all?) didn't happen in the 60s anymore, either. I mean, DC's history must always be a bit "alt-history", since Metropolis and Gotham City would also be cities that are hard to miss, a place like Sunnydale is more easily a town you just never heard about before...

I seem to recall airships over London in one scene?

The last hanging in the UK was in 1964.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Seen #4 now. Just about to start #5.

I really like this series. The lead actor is very charismatic (like a young Michael Caine). Paloma Faith is chewing scenery. 1960s alt-London is a really evocative setting (like, who needs Gotham when you have London?). Gorgeous period costume and sets. My only complaint would be that the villains are a little bland so far.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
the last Public Hanging in London was in 1868, so its definitely alt-history, but then that is to be expected

Remove ads