D&D 5E Percentage Chart?

Weiley31

Legend
So once everything calms down in the world, I plan on DMing with my one bud in a Solo game for DND (of which he's never played.)

Since it's going to be a solo game, I have been thinking up of a list of NPC sidekicks to form his party.* At most two max for the party.* So far I have down the following as potential companions that can join him.

-Female Eldarin Bladesinger

-A male Grey Wolf Rune Knight

-Lamia Royal Sorceress

- Male Ancestral Barbarian

- Male Minotaur Ranger(sailor) or Bard: keep on going back and forth.

-Female Merfolk Storm Caller (Druid)

The idea though is, I would have him roll a result that would determine which one of the companions would join him. The second companion ,automatically chosen, is a Rogue. I'd give him a choice, but he's big on rolling dice in general for selection in games.

So I figured either a percentage Chart or something would be the best choice. How do you guys make up your own charts when something like this occurs?

Weiley31

Legend
No Roll. Let him observe or interact with each NPC in a tavern. The player decides which one he wants as sidekick.
Well the idea is, depending on what he gets, EACH companion has a unique intro that joins up. So if he got the Merfolk, he hears her singing a Ballard by the cliffside. Or he encounters the wolf wounded and has to save it from Cult of Dragons members.

Last edited:

atanakar

Hero
Well the idea is, depending on what he gets, EACH companion has a unique intro that joins up. So if he got the Merfolk, he hears her singing a Ballard by the cliffside. Or he encounters the wolf wounded and has to save it from Cultnof Dragons members

D6.

One variant would be to have a conflict between two of them (roll d6 twice) and let the player decide which side he will take and thus choose his companion.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Uh... Those sound nice and all, but with a new player I think I'd stick to human Fighters and elven Wizards.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
When I design random encounter tables using a percentile die or 2d10, I often use this distribution of monster rarities (something you'd see in monster stats back in AD&D):

Very rare (2-3 and 19-20) = 6% chance
Rare (4-5 and 17-18) = 14% chance
Uncommon (6-7 and 15-16) = 22% chance
Common (8-14) = 58% chance

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'd say that introducing the 6 NPCs organically, then having the PC pick two to go adventuring with seems like a campaign intro adventure to me. The trick would be to figure out why they can only pick TWO to travel with.

Or, to answer your original question, roll a D6 if thats something you find more interesting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases