Percentage of Original Material

What % of your campaign is written by you?

• 100% I write all my own stuff!

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • 75% A map here an NPC there not much

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • 50% Half my stuff half published adventures

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • 25% Mostly published material modified to fit

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • 0% I don't write anything, I don't have the time

Votes: 8 8.3%

Daniel Knight

First Post
75% Original

My world, my over all story arcs, my flavor, my themes, and someone else’s adventure. And then it’s heavily modified to reach my satisfaction and tastes. I’m often guilty of changing NPCs, treasure, locations and encounters. I’ve never used a dialogue box as written.

One of the things I love about the game is taking someone else’s story, and making it better.

Aryoche

Explorer
Well, I voted 50%, but that's not exactly accurate. Then again, I was never really good when it came to math... :D

Up until recently, i.e. 3e, I used about 90% original material. Now I've been running Pre-made modules to get used to all the changes, and to rebuild my esteem as a DM.

However, as I was digging through all my old notes, I found an old project I had been working on for 2e...completely stocking of Undermountain!! The first 2 full levels were finished, in conjuction with articles and maps from the Forgotten Realms CD set and the Dragon Magazine CD set... So far it takes up 2 3 inch binders!! (I'm a sucker for detailed descriptions!)

So that got the ol creative juices flowing, and I'm working on converting the project to 3e, and finishing what I started... of course it's gonna be a long haul, but it'll be worth it.

I've just got to wonder, am I the only one crazy enough to do this, or has someone else tackled it?

Fenes

First Post
I use the FR setting, but write my own adventures and NPCs, and modify the setting more or less extensively.

Bought adventures are not to my taste, since I run a low-treasure/magic item campaign, and prefer less hack&slash than the norm. I also aim to tailor adventures and campaigns to the party, which means I would have to customize any bought adventure anyway.

As an example, one of the two weekly campaigns I am currently DMing or co-DMing is set in Unther, where a PC wants to drive out the invaders and install himself as a new god-king (at which point the PC will become an NPC, and the party move on to other pastures. Until that point the PC will remain a Standard class/race). I modified the Mulhorandi society, the Pantheon and the history to better fit that campaign (Getting rid of all "Good" parts and building a lawful-neutral society where God-kings still rule as in old times (2E etc)). Another PC is looking for a lost legendary weapon whose parts are spread over the region, a third currently trying to get an old Blademaster to teach him, which involves saving his daughter from the capital of Mulhorand.

Remove ads