• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanency and Reduce/Enlarge Person/Animal/Etc

koesherbacon

First Post
I'm making a Druid NPC for an upcoming campaign and wanted to run this by other DMs as well as anyone else who might know the answer.

The Druid has selected a Giant Chameleon as one of his animal companions (he's got the Pack Master archetype, so his other companion is a Roc). He's given the Chameleon 4 HD and the other 5 are going to the Roc (with Boon Companion to have the full 9 HD as per the character level).

The downside, is that with that amount of HD, the Chameleon is a Large animal. The Druid wishes to use this companion strictly for scouting, using it's natural stealth and camouflage to the group's benefit.

Having a Large animal do this kind of scouting could be a detriment to the party, so I want to reduce the creature to Small or smaller in size, so here's my question.

Can a creature have a Permanent Reduce Animal cast upon them, and then a second one? Or can only 1 Reduce spell be made permanent and then any other casting wouldn't work anymore.

Ideally, I'd like to reduce it by 4, from Large --> Medium --> Small --> Tiny.

I realize if this works it can be expensive, but in a dungeon or natural environment if an enemy were to see a Tiny Chameleon on the wall despite it's huge Stealth bonus, they probably wouldn't think very much of it. It's just a lizard on the wall, after all. A Large Chameleon, on the other hand, would probably be investigated by the bad guys at the very least, or killed.

So, can I cast 4 Permanent Reduce Animals on the creature to make it tiny?

Thanks a lot!

Starfox

Hero
There is an option in Pathfinder where you can gain an attribute increase instead of a size increase on an animal companion. So you can choose to not be Large (assuming the chameleon starts out at a size smaller than Large.

Edit: looked up the rule: " As you gain levels, your animal companion improves as well, usually at 4th or 7th level, in addition to the standard bonuses noted on Table: Animal Companion Base Statistics. Instead of taking the listed benefit at 4th or 7th level, you can instead choose to increase the companion's Dexterity and Constitution by 2."

From http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions

Last edited:

Remove ads