• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanency list?

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Would anyone know if there is a listing of non-PHB WotC spells that are subject to the Permanency spell?

Specifically I'm curious as to if anything official has been said regarding the Augment Familiar spell from the Complete Warrior; but a fuller listing would be nice.

pikafunk

First Post
There are a few spells that can be used with Permenancy other than the ones in the PHB. But they explicitly state that they can be used with it, just as the ones in the PHB.

darthkilmor

First Post
Doesnt permanency say that any spell not on the list that a pc wants to use has to be researched and the DM decide if it can be or not ? So make your PC's research it!

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Only 3.5e spells state in the spell's text that the spell may be used in conjunction with permanency. For older 3e stuffs, such as Magic of Faerun and other 3e setting books with many campaign specific spells don't have any such guidelines.

Letting PCs just research works fine for core spells but with all the campaign specific spells there should be at least a few (3-4 or more) added to the list that won't need to be researched.

Are there any "behind the rules" guidelines for determining whether a spell is capable of being used in conjunction with permanency?

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
From a personal standpoint, I allow almost any spell with a target and a duration of 10 min/level or greater to be permanent. If the wizard wants to pay the xp in some of those cases, he can be my guest -- these are spells that already have long durations, so them being on for more than one fight isn't too game breaking, basically freeing up an extra low-level spell slot for an extra magic missile or something

Remove ads