• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Persistent Moonlight?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm designing an adventure arc around Moon Rats (MM II p.151). The concept revolves around them creating a persistent moonlight effect in an underground lair that allows them to have constant intelligence. Additionally I'll likely have other Tiny sized creatures such as Cranium Rats (Fiend Folio p.167), Brain Moles (Expanded Psionics Handbook p.190) and so on.

Question: Does there exist a magical item or a spell I can make permanent that produces moonlight? I'm imagining an amulet or something that would aid lycanthropes.

The PC's will need to find a way to shrink themselves down in order to travel an elaborate dungeon crawl of rat tunnels to destroy the Moonlight effect before the rats can enact their plan to train up more leaders amongst themselves to make more persistent moonlight lairs near other humanoid civilizations. Should be good times.

A secondary question: How might PC's maintain themselves at a Tiny size for a long time? Ultimately I'll leave it up to them to figure it out, but I might as well have some ideas in mind.

Last edited:

radja

First Post
hmm.. it doesnt have to be permanent, it can be an activatable item. As long as it is activated each hour or so the effect will effectively be permanent, until the moon rats are kept from activating the item. Since the moon rats are intelligent, one could take an action to activate the item every 50 minutes to renew the effect. They could have stumbled upon this item in one of their natural moonlight-induced intelligent phases.

udalrich

First Post
Given this[Daylight spell], I'd say it could easily be a 4th level spell.

Why is moonlight so much more powerful than daylight that it warrants being a higher level spell? If anything, I would expect that it is weaker, since you can see better in daylight than moonlight.

Continual Flame is a second level spell, and provides a permanent light effect with a fairly minor cost. That seems like a more relevant spell for comparison.

nonsi256

Explorer
Why is moonlight so much more powerful than daylight that it warrants being a higher level spell? If anything, I would expect that it is weaker, since you can see better in daylight than moonlight.

Daylight doesn't produce real sunlight. It doesn't have any negative effect on creatures who are specifically vulnerable to sunlight.
True moonlight would have an added value that just any magical illumination doesn't have.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I found the spell Wall of Moonlight in Players Guide to Faerun.

Since it's able to be made permanent, this is the direction I think I'm going with.

However, I was underwhelmed with the lack of moonlight or moon related items. With all things lycanthropic, you think some sort of moonlight generating amulet or something would be floating around in a book someplace.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As for the size, consider Pixie Dust, from Magic Item Compendium.

It has two effects: First, it shrinks the target down to the size of a Grig (Tiny). Second, they are the target of a Charm effect. This last can be rendered meaningless if they use the dust on themselves, since they already consider themselves as "a trusted friend".

The effect lasts for something like 9 hours.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As for the size, consider Pixie Dust, from Magic Item Compendium.

It has two effects: First, it shrinks the target down to the size of a Grig (Tiny). Second, they are the target of a Charm effect. This last can be rendered meaningless if they use the dust on themselves, since they already consider themselves as "a trusted friend".

The effect lasts for something like 9 hours.
I didn't know about Pixie Dust, thanks! That's awesome, and the 9 hour duration is perfect, just long enough to do a dungeon crawl, but short enough to have a time crunch.

Edit: @Greenfield , I checked Magic Item Compendium, can't find Pixie Dust. Where might I find this?

Edit Edit: Ok, found it in Arms and Equipment Guide, thanks! This is nifty, it reduces anyone who fails the Fort save to Tiny size, no matter what size that individual starts as. Very handy.

Last edited:

Remove ads