Petrified Character, What about their items?

calebhand

First Post
In a recent game, a character got petrified. I can't find anywhere in the rules or internet what happens to their items. The person is turned to stone, but what about all the stuff they carry?

Caleb

fba827

Adventurer
Like the Jester, I have always ruled that the gear is petrified too (some how it just seems simpler to me that way else the other PCs try and spend time figuring out what they can take from the body and not -- i.e. you can't get a backpack off without bending his arms but since he's petrified no arm bending, and thus have to cut it off and all sorts of other fiddly chatter).

Having said that, as the DM, just pick one way or the other and stick to it consistently.

Derren

Hero
Having the items stay normal would likely create less headaches with a creative group.
Having the items also petrify could lead to some issued when the PCs use that to either easily destroy items, hide them or otherwise render them unusable (if that becomes necessary in the course of the campaign).

Also, its "Flesh to Stone" not "Flesh and all items in contact with it to Stone".

Assuming the effect is "Flesh to Stone". Some effects may not be that explicit, and simply impose a condition of Petrified. The fluff may provide some description of how the effect is intended to manifest. I would say that if not specifically noted otherwise, everything is petrified.

babinro

First Post
I personally rule that the items remain petrified also.

This is more for meta-gaming balance reasons. Players aren't intended to receive a huge boon of items as 'reward' for a PC's death.

Tukka

Explorer
I personally rule that the items remain petrified also.

This is more for meta-gaming balance reasons. Players aren't intended to receive a huge boon of items as 'reward' for a PC's death.
How do you handle it if a character dies in a relatively mundane fashion? You might be able to take out one or two items depending on how you describe the death (e.g. a bashed in cranium might coincide with the destruction the character's magical helm), but most of the items would probably remain intact and functional.

Also, the immediate consequence of death or petrification is anything but a huge boon for the party. They lose access to all of the actions, powers, skills, class features, etc. of the party member. I think giving the party access to the dead character's items at least until a replacement PC is introduced is reasonable. If the PCs don't give the gear to the under-equipped new PC or return the items to the dead PC's next of kin (or a quartermaster, or whoever is most entitled to them), you can just give them less loot in future encounters.

I would just have the fleshy bits turned to stone.

Ryujin

Legend
Having the items stay normal would likely create less headaches with a creative group.
Having the items also petrify could lead to some issued when the PCs use that to either easily destroy items, hide them or otherwise render them unusable (if that becomes necessary in the course of the campaign).

Also, its "Flesh to Stone" not "Flesh and all items in contact with it to Stone".

Except that the genre default is that the creature becomes a statue, complete with all his gear. In walks Jason. Up pops Gorgon. Poor sailor sidekick is instantly turned into a statue, complete with gear and weapons of stone.

It's not necessarily an issue that players can easily exploit. The resist 30/all, or whatever it is (currently can't get into Compendium) makes it far more difficult to destroy things. I wouldn't allow Artifacts to be destroyed or turned anyway, as they function outside the normal rule limitations.

Sadras

Legend
Every Fantasy movie I have ever seen, the persons gear is turned to stone as well.

Fair enough I had that idea too. But using logic, where does the petrification effect end...why not the floor and the surrounds and so forth? Why just the clothing and items...? What if the victim was on his steed, what happens to the mount?

These days I just go with the Flesh part and not all the items - makes more sense.
Then again what happens with Enlarge spells :p

Remove ads