PH1: The Darque Demense (Bront judging)

Phoenix8008

First Post
Confident in their ability to complete the task, Eleria offers, "So, I assume that we will rendezvous with you back here with the key?"

"Beneath the written permission for you to be within the house is an address where you can bring the key when you have recovered it. Make sure to waste no time, for if you take to long, my inheritance shall be forfeited- as shall your salary!" Lucias points out.

[sblock=OOC]It is mid-morning currently on a warm sunny day.

The walls of the house go straight up for 30 feet, then angle inward 45 degrees for 10 towards a presumably mostly flat rooftop. The tower on the back corner in taller by a story. It goes straight up 50 feet or so with a conical top angled about 45 degrees. So yes, you could use a full movement action to get to the top of either structure.

The windows are all heavily curtained from within and reveal nothing.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
“I did not sense anything about Lucius Darque that was untoward, except perhaps, that he is a bit of a pretentious sod with an inflated sense of worth. Though he pays well and that suits me just fine.”

When Eleria hears the other suggestions, she replies. “Unfortunately, I can offer little assistance in bypassing any traps or security devices… though I agree. It would be wise to take a look around the house to see what means of entry are at our disposal. The roof may be good. Or there may even be a cellar.”

Eleria wanders off to take a look around the outside of the house to see if there are any other means of entry aside from the front and rear doors. Also, if there are any other structures on the property. She will be quite quick and return to the party shortly.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Exploring behind the house, you find no other structures. There is though, as suspected, a small porch leading up to the back door, as well as a small flight of steps leading down into the earth and ending at what seems to be a cellar door.

[sblock=OOC]I've included approximate positions for everyone. Tell me if you wanna be somewhere else and I'll try to move them around. I'm learning as I'm going here though... :confused: :heh: [/sblock]

Attachments

• DarqueDemense2-J.JPG
    DarqueDemense2-J.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Xir follows the elven maiden along the back of the house. Finding what they expected to find, he nods. "'The hawk from above knows all that is below.'" With that, the xeph bursts into motion, little striding up the wall. He lands deliberately at the top, then finishes walking normally to the top of the room to survey the rooftop and surrounding area---and to get a better look at the tower from this vantage.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Xir runs up the walls and lands atop the roof of the house. The surrounding area looks normal and inconsequential from above. The flat area of the roof is 20'x30' with the eaves angling downward to the edge of the house. The corner near the tower though is cut out some as is the side of the tower facing that corner slightly with a thin flat ledge up against what you would swear was a drawbridge!? It appears as though some mechanism is capable of lowering the drawbridge to allow access from the rooftop to what you assume would be a doorway now covered and blocked by the upright drawbridge itself.

Attachments

• DarqueDemense3-J.JPG
    DarqueDemense3-J.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 129

stonegod

Xir examines the sight for a moment, then descends just as rapidly. "A drawbridge connects the tower to the roof, but it is blocked by said drawbridge. What is our approach?"

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
“That is quite a useful talent you have there, Xir.”

Eleria comments when he descends, beckoning him to come with her back around to where the others are waiting. When they are all together, she speaks her thoughts.

“There are three doors accessible from the ground. The front, the rear and a cellar of some description - as I had suspected. One would assume the front door to be the primary means of entry, though it would be foolish for Allahastor Darque to protect any of these doors more than any other, as they are all equally accessable. Alas, I do not know much about the locking mechanisms on each, so I shall have to defer to Elthic’s judgement as to which one we should use, though I would probably seek to avoid the front.”

After contemplating for a moment, she continues. “I am interested in the roof area, though, as it presents three opportunities that I can see.”

Eleria counts on her slender fingers as she points them out, better illustrating the point.

“Firstly, the drawbridge. Is there any way we can tamper with the mechanism to allow it to open. Or is it firmly or magically sealed? Secondly, the construction. Do we have any means to lift the tiles or such, so that we may gain access through the roof without causing any undue damage? And thirdly, it may be possible to access some of the higher-level windows by dropping down from the roof. What say you, gentlemen… What is our best approach?”

Wik

First Post
Elthic stays quiet through most of the investigations, casting curious glances up at the window nervously. But he doesn't mention anything to anybody, lest he make them nervous.

"The front door seems like it may be the best means of entrance. There's something to be said for the direct approach! Besides, I don't like the idea of coming too close to those windows... at least not without solid ground under my feet." the dwarf shoots a nervous glance at Xir.

I can bypass the front door, or the back. It is, of course, your call.

[sblock=Elthic's Skill Modifiers]
Don't know if I should make rolls, or just post modifiers. So, here's the mods -
Search (on the door): +5. In particular, looking for traps, especially of the arcane variety. No one will be within twenty feet of Elthic when he does this.

Disable Device: +7. If Elthic detects a trap that seems like it might be too dangerous, he'll check other ground-floor entrances before actually trying to disable a trap.

Open Lock: +8. Elthic will, if able, take 10 on a check. If that don't work, take 20. If that don't work, he'll adventure for several months, until he gets a skill high enough to disable the lock. :)

[/sblock]

stonegod

[sblock=OOC]It has been repeated pointed out that the windows are probably too small to try to enter. Its like the designers didn't want you getting in that way. :)[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Hmmm, curious but true stonegod. :lol: The windows (including the upstairs) are only about 5-6 inches wide though very tall. In some cases there are many of these narrow windows together to let in more light but each is separated by a line of stone blocks 4 inches wide.

Elthic, from now on you can make those rolls yourself and I'll tell you the results. For sake of expediency, I rolled them this time for you. I assumed you were doing this for the front door based on your dialouge. Elthic search, disable, and open lock (1d20+5=9, 1d20+7=16, 1d20+8=26)[/sblock]
As for the roof construction, Xir comments that it would have to be checked more thoroughly to ascertain whether some means of entrance is possible. And he saw no means of interfering with the drawbridge mechanism from the outside.

Elthic's search of the front door finds nothing in need of disabling. It finds nothing at all in fact. The door was well locked though, doubly so in fact, but you unlock them with such ease that it surprises even you! Typical of human construction, you would wager. As the locks click open, all four of you hear a voice speak as if it is right behind you... "Leave this place now, while you still are able to do so. And tell Lucias who hired you to leave this place well enough alone as well!"

Attachments

• DarqueDemense4-J.JPG
    DarqueDemense4-J.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 133

Remove ads