Phanton Steed

RigaMortus2

First Post
Got a couple questions regarding Phantom Steed. There isn't much info regarding exactly what a PS is, other than "quasi-real". What exactly does this mean? Anyway, here are my questions pertaining to this spell...

What kind of saving throws does the PS have? It doesn't seem to have it's own, but it doesn't specify if it uses the saves of the caster or the rider (remember, the caster can cast the spell for someone else).

If a character is on a Phantom Steed, what happens if he get's fireballed? Does the PS get a Ref save? If so, based off what?

Can you cast Invis on a PS?

Can it be the target of a Speak w/ Animals spell?

If an enemy tries to cast Levitate on it (if the target is willing, it work's fine, but if the target is unwilling, it gets to make a Will Save), what happens? Does it get a save? Again, based off what?

Can it be affected by mind-affecting spells?

JimAde

First Post
I have an NPC in my game who uses PS a lot and some of these questions have come up, but I don't have authoritative answers.

The PS is not an animal, so Speak with Animals is right out. As far as I can tell it's a spell effect and not a creature at all, so no mind-affecting spells, either.

As far as saving throws, the spell description doesn't say, but I'd use the caster's. It hasn't come up in my game, but I suppose you could substitute the rider's Ref save instead of the caster's, or just make it roll at +0.

With a fireball, and with so few hit points, it will probably get vaporized even if it makes its save anyway.

Artoomis

First Post
Before even attempting to answer, let's post the spell, shall we?

srd said:
You conjure a Large, quasi-real, horselike creature. The steed can be ridden only by you or by the one person for whom you specifically created the mount. A phantom steed has a black head and body, gray mane and tail, and smoke-colored, insubstantial hooves that make no sound. It has what seems to be a saddle, bit, and bridle. It does not fight, but animals shun it and refuse to attack it.

The mount has an AC of 18 (-1 size, +4 natural armor, +5 Dex) and 7 hit points +1 hit point per caster level. If it loses all its hit points, the phantom steed disappears. A phantom steed has a speed of 20 feet per caster level, to a maximum of 240 feet. It can bear its rider’s weight plus up to 10 pounds per caster level.

These mounts gain certain powers according to caster level. A mount’s abilities include those of mounts of lower caster levels.

8th Level
The mount can ride over sandy, muddy, or even swampy ground without difficulty or decrease in speed.

10th Level
The mount can use water walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability).

12th Level
The mount can use air walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability) for up to 1 round at a time, after which it falls to the ground.

14th Level
The mount can fly at its speed (average maneuverability).

RigaMortus2

First Post
JimAde said:
The PS is not an animal, so Speak with Animals is right out. As far as I can tell it's a spell effect and not a creature at all, so no mind-affecting spells, either.

As Artoomis posted, it is a creature (a "horse-like" creature). But what does that mean? Does it have a Type? Animal? Magical Beast? Clearly spells that target creatures should affect it. It also doesn't say anything one way or the other about being affected (or not being affected) by mind-affecting spells. Most creatures can be affected by mind-affecting spells, but again, this is dependant on type. Does the fact that it is horse-like have any credence?

This came up in our game where my character has Phantom Steed as one of his "everyday cast" spells.

Does the quasi-real creature have some definable physiology? If so, this would indicate susceptability to certain fortitude effects - poisons etc.

The fact that dexterity is used in its AC seems to imply that it will try to avoid being struck. As it has a +5 dex bonus, I suppose this could be reasonably applied to reflex saves to avoid a fireball.

As for will saves, I have no idea. It understands the directions of its rider which points to some form of perception and thus wisdom. Is this a function of the spell though and not the inherent perception of the creature?

I can't see why the steed could not be made invisible. This would seem reasonable.

As for Speak with Animals, I would suggest this most certainly would not work. The only thing that might work if the creature could talk or at the very least understand would be tongues. Even on this though, I would still hesitate.

In terms of levitating, I would say this is a no go unless it came from the rider and even then, this would be debatable as the terms of the agreement are allowing you to ride it, not control it's will to be allowed to levitate.

As for mind-affecting spells, the quasi-real part would seem to indicate that it might not have a mind. See above question for will saves to determine whether you would consider this.
On the whole, I think this is more about interpretation rather than a series of definite rulings. Hope it helps though.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

RigaMortus2

First Post
Couple more questions...

Let's say you have a rider on a PS, and both the rider and PS have Greater Invis on. The rider makes a spirited charge against an opponent and is about to travel through an allies square.

The ally can not see the invised PS rider, so he can't move out of the way. Can the rider use a Mounted Overrun (Trample) and try to overrun him, keeping in mind that the PS can not attack on it's own? If he tries Mounted Overrun, the ally is allowed to move out of the way and let him pass, but he doesn't know he is coming. Otherwise the mount normally gets to make a Str check to determine the success or failure of the overrun attack, but PS's can not attack. So what does one do? Is the rider forced to stop early because, according to the rules, the ally can't get out of the way since he doesn't see him coming and the PS can't attack and force the overrun.

Remove ads