• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PHB binding problems--WotC doing anything?

brehobit

Explorer
I'm finding that the pages cleric-to-fighter are coming out of my book already. It's not exactly seen heavy use (15-20 hours of reading). I know there was a thread about the PHB binding before, but it was (mostly?) about books people saw that had problems, not ones they'd bought.

And for the record, I returned the first one I bought about 30 minutes later when I saw one page wasn't printed correctly.

So, is WotC doing anything about books that have problems this quickly? I don't have a receipt from the FLGS and so I'm loath to go back to them. I could try the old textbook "glue and pray" method of putting the binding back together, but I figured that once I did that, it would be really hard to return if it didn't work.

Anyone given this a shot?

IMG_1072.JPG

Jessic

First Post
I have this exact same issue, but on a different page (50-51, the Bard page).

Further, some of my pages have faded text, as if their printers were running low on ink while printing just the text part of my book

Also, parts of the pages are stuck together near the binding (it seems their glue connected together). At points, the glue has pulled up.

I'll return my copy to Amazon.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Mine is having the same problem, up to page 66.

I contacted Wizards, and their procedure for replacement is located here: http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/ans.../AvPEyQqDDv8S~e5jGuUa~yInAd0qgy75Mv~h~zj~PP8o

I completed their survey saying that their service was good, but their process, not so much. I'm a DM and having to be without the PHB for an unknown amount of time isn't a great solution. I suggested taking my CC number, and if I don't return the defective one within a reasonable amount of time (that they define), they could charge it.

I haven't had a reply yet.

Ilbranteloth

I'd love to see the D&D books saddle stitched and built to last.
However, it is worth noting that both the 3.5e and 4e core books were also perfect bound with loose pages glued to the spine. My copies of the former have held up after a decade and a LOT of hard use.

Very likely, the problems we're seeing come from rushing the books to the printer at the last minute to make the GenCon deadline AND a larger than normal print run. So fewer ink changes and less Quality Control due to an unforgiving deadling. That paired with a very popular edition that is selling extremely well, so there are more people buying the books in a short period, and thus more people finding problems with their books. And thus more complaints here and on other forums. The actual percentage of bad books likely has not increased *that* much, it's just more noticeable.

Mine has fallen apart from pages 210-270, right in the middle of the spell section that I end up using every damn game. I'm kinda pissed about it, and I have yet to receive a reply to my customer service request from WotC.

I'd love to see the D&D books saddle stitched and built to last.
However, it is worth noting that both the 3.5e and 4e core books were also perfect bound with loose pages glued to the spine. My copies of the former have held up after a decade and a LOT of hard use.
Ditto.

Very likely, the problems we're seeing come from rushing the books to the printer at the last minute to make the GenCon deadline AND a larger than normal print run. So fewer ink changes and less Quality Control due to an unforgiving deadling.
Very plausible.

That paired with a very popular edition that is selling extremely well, so there are more people buying the books in a short period, and thus more people finding problems with their books. And thus more complaints here and on other forums. The actual percentage of bad books likely has not increased *that* much, it's just more noticeable.
Here, I think you're wrong. The original 4E Player's Handbook sold very well at release, and the internet was also full of lively message boards at the time (including this one, as you surely recall). I remember people complaining about pages smudging, but I don't ever remember seeing so many posts about peoples' books falling apart less than two months after release.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It would be nice of WotC would replace the ones breaking so quickly...

Well, if they were selling out, as was reported, they may not have anything to replace them with. A replacement program requires extra stock on hand.

Quickleaf

Legend
Mine is having the same problem, up to page 66.

I contacted Wizards, and their procedure for replacement is located here: http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/ans.../AvPEyQqDDv8S~e5jGuUa~yInAd0qgy75Mv~h~zj~PP8o

I completed their survey saying that their service was good, but their process, not so much. I'm a DM and having to be without the PHB for an unknown amount of time isn't a great solution. I suggested taking my CC number, and if I don't return the defective one within a reasonable amount of time (that they define), they could charge it.

I haven't had a reply yet.

Ilbranteloth

Similar binding issues as others. I've been hesitant to use their service because of this stipulation:

Once it arrives and we've assessed that the damage or defect did occur before the product was bought, we can replace the item for you and include something extra to cover the cost of shipping.

Last edited:

salvaterra

Villager
(first: sorry for the bad english)

I do not know if this is an issue of the books printed in my country (Brazil), but we soon learned that fully open a hardcover book inevitably will destroy it in no time.

I buy large and heavy rpg books in hardcover for over 17 years and my first books had their bindings broken until I learned how to keep the books open at an angle of no more than 120 degrees to read.

Lately I started buying imported books, and these seem to have a binding of higher quality, but I'm very accustomed to be careful to test them.

I always saw people in movies and comic opening their books in a completely open-angle and always found it strange and painful due to my experience with these books.

I have the PHB for a month already. I read it completely and consult every day and for now he is in perfect condition, but I cant tell if it's because of the way that handling it.

Remove ads