D&D 5E PHB is #3 right now on "Amazon's Hot New Releases"

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I just want you to know that when you alter your signature to go with the post, I always notice, and I appreciate it.

:blush:

It's a little detail I like throwing in when it fits. I'm glad someone notices appreciates them. Thanks. :)

——

The PH(B) still #1 in "Hot New Releases" as of this post. And #3 in Amazon's overall "Best Sellers in Books" category. It has some legs.

Mearls mentioned on twitter: "Kind of stunned by this, honestly. If we hit #1 overall I think I'm going to freak out a bit."

I think it's safe to say, this launch has "met or exceeded expectations".

"Thaumaturge."

The Black Ranger

First Post
I think some of you are playing it up a bit more than it really is. What constitutes the "Hot new releases" section anyway? How long does a book stay in this category? The other books could have been out for a while so it's natural the sales will decline and when they are going up against a book that just came out, the newer book will come out ahead. Also, it says it's #1 sales in the Dungeons and Dragons section. The only other product it's beating is the starter set while everything else hasn't even come out yet.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think some of you are playing it up a bit more than it really is. What constitutes the "Hot new releases" section anyway? How long does a book stay in this category? The other books could have been out for a while so it's natural the sales will decline and when they are going up against a book that just came out, the newer book will come out ahead. Also, it says it's #1 sales in the Dungeons and Dragons section. The only other product it's beating is the starter set while everything else hasn't even come out yet.

Nobody (except you) has mentioned the #1 in the Dungeons and Dragons section. It's #1 in new releases, #1 in gaming, #3 in national bestsellers overall, top 10 on wish lists, etc...

As for new releases, I think it's a monthly list?

Rygar

Explorer

The information on sales ranks to units sold is out there if you google it. Generally speaking, the top 5 ranks means it is selling thousands of copies per day and several tens of thousands per week. The way it works is roughly an hourly decay rate based upon copies sold versus time released, such that previous best sellers "decay" in rank so that new best sellers can take their place. It is a "What's popular now" list.

So what this means is that WOTC's moving probably 20,000 to 30,000 units this week on Amazon alone and they're on track for potentially a couple hundred thousand copies in the first month.

Hence why Mearls is celebrating. He's looking at being able to tell senior management he hit 3.x numbers with the Core release.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases