D&D 5E PHB is #3 right now on "Amazon's Hot New Releases"

SigmaOne

First Post
I've heard from a couple of FLGS here that they did not go all in on stock of 5e materials, because they got killed and wanted to play wait and see. They confessed they were blown away by demand that they did not anticipate and were out of stock opening weekend.

And the other thing I've started to hear are a lot of people who had preordered on Amazon, but then couldn't wait and ran out to FLGS and tried (some successfully) to get an early release copy. Some canceled their Amazon preorders and others are kept the orders alive to gift their 2nd PHBs.

I kept my 2nd Starter Set, but I canceled my Amazon PHB and HotDQ order after picking them up locally. Kind of regretting it even though I have no reason to get an extra copy.

Halivar

First Post
I've heard from a couple of FLGS here that they did not go all in on stock of 5e materials, because they got killed and wanted to play wait and see. They confessed they were blown away by demand that they did not anticipate and were out of stock opening weekend.
My FLGS ordered 24 copies, and all of them were gone by noon; I got the last one.

Looks like the PHB has slipped a few places on Amazon's bestseller list.
This could be the result of more popular books being ordered, or it could be the result of sales plateauing. It might even be the result of people cancelling preorders to buy from game stores now, which would be awesome but is less likely.

I guess we'll see if this is the start of a decline, if it will hold at a lower position for a while, or if word of mouth will boost sales again.

Gundark

Explorer
Looks like the PHB has slipped a few places on Amazon's bestseller list.
This could be the result of more popular books being ordered, or it could be the result of sales plateauing. It might even be the result of people cancelling preorders to buy from game stores now, which would be awesome but is less likely.

I guess we'll see if this is the start of a decline, if it will hold at a lower position for a while, or if word of mouth will boost sales again.

Cancelled my pre-order to impulse buy it from the LGS. It would be interesting to know how many actual copies that were sold, unfortunately we'll never have those numbers.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its dipping a little bit

#4/#9/#1

It is hard to compare to past releases, but through the way-back machine, I was able to find out that (for bestsellers) the:

4E PHB did get up to 33, fell to 54. then plumeted.

PFCRB got up to 369 (and maybe a bit higher, based on what I poasted above), but seemed to stay in the hundreds longer.

So the starter set, which I think got into the top and 10 and is now at 199, looks good by those numbers.

The PHB is something else. The difference in sales as you move into single digits is massive.

Remove ads