D&D 5E Pick only one: What should the next class be?

What is the next class that needs to be released?

• Warlord

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Psion

Votes: 62 50.8%
  • Shaman

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Warden

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Rune priest

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Dedicated summoner

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • other

Votes: 20 16.4%

Sacrosanct

Legend
The artificer was the first class released since the PHB 5 years ago. I know that you probably think more than one, if not all, of these options should be classes at some point. But for purposes of this poll, if you had to choose one, what would it be? What would be the top priority?

Tallifer

Hero
A properly psionic class in its own right. Not a psionic class which uses normal spells. (I want to see a monk-like Bene Gesserit with psychic powers using a psi point mechanic like a battlemaster.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With the material already in 1E and 2E, I really don't get why WotC doesn't make a Psion class based on all that...

Maybe I will tackle it. I know others have, so I might as well throw my effort into the ring. :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Warlord. I’m still miffed that despite claiming during the D&D Next playtest that they planned to include in the 5e PHB all races and classes that have appeared in a previous edition’s first PHB, they left Warlord out in the cold.

They made that claim? Where? I don't recall it. Not saying it didn't happen, but it seems like such an odd claim to make, I'd be curious to know who said it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Warlord. I’m still miffed that despite claiming during the D&D Next playtest that they planned to include in the 5e PHB all races and classes that have appeared in a previous edition’s first PHB, they left Warlord out in the cold.

So, what is the difference between a Fighter and a "Warlord"?

I've never played or even seen the class, so I am honestly curious...

Mister-Kent

Explorer
Since all of the above bring different gameplay elements to the table, I'd only want classes that could yield a decent handful of subclasses. I voted Psion since I know generally what psionic subclasses would look like, but struggle for the rest. I suppose Summoners could focus on specific creatures? But what would Warlord subclasses be, or Shamans?

Somebody says "we have got enough classes and races" but others don't agree and we say "I want more classes and PC races".

In the past I have said the keys for a new class are:

- Right balance of power, of course.

- Interesting concept. The soulborn and incarnate from Magic of Incarnum are two example of boring classes, too closed to paladin and linked with alignments.

- Fun gameplay. I didn't want to create psionic wilders because losing power points was a boring penalty for psychic enervation. I would rather the dazed condition in the pathfinder version.

The warlord will be a class to play with miniatures, with troops, maybe mass battles or warbands skirmishes.

Now the rule for a new class in 5th Ed is it has to be enough open to allow different concepts or subclasses.

* I would like a class about a customizable monster pet/ally.

* I have said some times in the past I miss the vestige pact magic.

* I loved the martial adepts, but the martial maneuvers are too complicated to be by nPCs, with luck only a solo boss. I thought the samurai, ninja and shadow assassin should be remade as martial adepts. Why not to hire Dreamscarred Press to create a 5th Ed version?

* The magic of incarnum deserves a second opportunity but it needs a right remake. It has to be a easy and fast system to can be used by enemy nPCs. I suggest to explore the concept of totem shaman with powers as monster traits. This could be interesting for players who like monster templates for their PCs. Other idea is using the game mechanic of soulmelds but not in chakras (the body slots for magic item) but in weapons and pieces of armour as magic runes, and spending points of essence not to buff really, but metamagic effects, for example energy substitution. I didn't like the soulborn nor the incarnated, too linked to alignment, but the totemist shaman should come back in the future. But I would a better work than sooner.

Other crazy idea is mixing vestige pact magic, incarnum and summoned eidolons. The invocator summons a vestige, this is incarnated in a eidolon like a summoned creature. The invocator can spend points of essence to add better monster traits to the eidolon (or we could use other name, for example "vahana"). The vahana could be like a monster class, a demi-PC, like a sidekick partially controlled by the player.

* I have suggested in the past the concept of nagual, a skinwalker as the shifter class from Ultimate Wilderness in Pathfinder. She should be like the furry and unfriendly cousin of the warden class, for players who want to play with therianthropes (werewolves & cia).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases