Dragonlance Pitching Dragonlance to new players

Dragonlance is like:
-Star Wars with dragons instead of spaceships
-Game of Thrones without all the moral ambiguity
-Lord of the Rings if the hobbits were way more annoying

(edit: Kender joke intended to reflect the commonly expressed sentiment, not to imply that they are objectively bad or bash DL)

Last edited:

bennet

Explorer
The books were good for something written in the 80s. But I never heard of something actually liking the Dragonlance campaign setting or modules. Its like running a middle earth game, but hobbits are little pricks, and none of the iconic locations.

For me at least, "you can ride a dragon into battle" would be a major selling point. The 'eventually' stings, but it's still a cool visual even if doesn't make any sense in the setting.

aco175

Legend
I assume that a hoopak can be a finesse weapon. I would give it 1d4 sling part and 1d6 staff part. Maybe sallow the sling part to be used without an attack of opportunity when next to a bad guy, to make up for the damage drop.

Quickleaf

Legend
I only played a tiiiny bit of Dragonlance, but my impression of its uniqueness was...
  • War ravaged land with marching/occupying dragonarmies, often better to avoid direct confrontation
  • Points of hope/light scattered throughout, offering "Rivendell" moments (some less secure than others)
  • Deep focus on character relationships (PC-PC, and PC-NPC) - probably the most defining feature
  • Character relationships extending to touch cultural & political issues (microcosms)
  • Literary "romance" feel, with chivalric ideals worked into the quests requiring courage & sacrifice
  • Weird spooky society of color-coded wizards who you should keep an eye on
  • Gods may or may not have abandoned humanity, faith is not usually proved through divine magic

Lyxen

Great Old One
What worked for me: Friend: "Read this novel" hand over Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Been a fan of DL and D&D ever since.

Well, first, honestly, the novels are not that good. I will say that they are at the top of the D&D litterature, but that is not saying much. Second, if you do that, you basically give the whole plot of the campaign, which is honestly the best thing of the DL world. I won't go as far as saying the only thing, but frankly I've not been impressed by anything published on DL for D&D after the War of the Lance...

Remove ads