D&D General Plagiarised D&D art

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Copyright doesn't necessarily depend on how distinct two things are. It also depends on the material reality of their creation. In your example, those are both potentially*** copyrightable photos, and that copyright could be enforced, presumably by looking at records to see which one was used in a particular case. It could certainly lead to confusion if you, say, licensed that photo and didn't keep accurate records, and you could wind up getting sued by the owner of the other photo. So the moral of the story is: keep good business records.
Let's say you and I are standing side by side overlooking a particularly nice view. We each take a photo of that view, and by sheer luck our photos turn out to be pretty much exactly the same.

You then go on to claim copyright over your photo, and make some money off the image. Good for you.

IMO your copyright should not stop me from making money off the indistinguishable-from-yours version of that same image that I took and that I own. Further, as anyone could in theory go to that same viewpoint and take the same picture for themselves, I'm not sure non-posed photography should be copyright-able at all.

Clint_L

Hero
Let's say you and I are standing side by side overlooking a particularly nice view. We each take a photo of that view, and by sheer luck our photos turn out to be pretty much exactly the same.

You then go on to claim copyright over your photo, and make some money off the image. Good for you.

IMO your copyright should not stop me from making money off the indistinguishable-from-yours version of that same image that I took and that I own. Further, as anyone could in theory go to that same viewpoint and take the same picture for themselves, I'm not sure non-posed photography should be copyright-able at all.
I don't think it would. Need a lawyer to weigh in, but I think in that situation we could both copyright our photos.

gban007

Adventurer

Talking about copyrights for photos puts me in mind of below case around a red bus on Westminster bridge, noting that it is more than just photography in play as some further adjustments needed to make end result, but interesting case nonetheless.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Talking about copyrights for photos puts me in mind of below case around a red bus on Westminster bridge, noting that it is more than just photography in play as some further adjustments needed to make end result, but interesting case nonetheless.

You can read the full judgement here :

The image in the original post doesn't seem like plagiarism to me.
The Traced dragon outline is used to draw something completely new in a different style, in this case a more naive style based on 1st edition art, seems OK to me.

Remove ads