Planescape Planescape Confessions

I call what you are talking about "Planescape-lite."

I generally interpret it that the philosophical and even societal elements of Planescape are really primarily Sigil culture. They just don't extend much beyond Sigil itself, some of the Gate-town, and other specific bases or populated centers associated with the Factions. The rest of the planes are just the planes. The typical inhabitants of Bytopia, Arcadia, etc, whether mortal, petitioner, or exemplar are not familiar with nor interested in the intellectualizing and moral ambiguity of the Sigilites. Angels are angels. Fiends are fiends. Petitioners are living out their afterlives in bliss or torment, and retired adventures, powerful mages, etc are living in mortal settlements on various planes.

Same thing with the City of Brass or that Githyanki city with the name for I don't feel like looking up the correct spelling.. There might be a few people (or even areas of the city) where Cant speaking berks congregate within it, but the rest of the inhabitants (especially most of the natives) neither know nor care about it.

This approach allows you have as little or as much of the Planescape philosophy and culture as you'd like in your plane-hopping campaign.

Remove ads