Planescape Planescape is confusing

Alex River

First Post
Our first session was a blast: I appeared to be a great DM and my homebrewn mini-campaign went smooth and great. Now my 4-level players ended up in outlands, with certan magical effect that prevents them from outright using nearest portal to prime material. Overall planescape setting is so confusing I can't imagine anything suitable for the party as it is now. Also, I don't want to involve Sigil and it's intricacies yet. The question is: where I can find, perhaps a module to tweak or at least more specific info of shet going on in gatetowns or outer planes, just to know where a beginner-party should start, untill they get involved in interplanatory scale schemes of gods and demons?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6872997]Alex River[/MENTION] Welcome to ENWorld :)

I'm assuming you're comfortable converting AD&D to 5e? There's a product called A Player's Primer to the Outlands with some great info. on the Outlands, though you'll need to adapt that into an adventure that suits your group. If you prefer modules, there's quite a few dealing with gate-towns in Well of Worlds, Great Modron March, and the various Planes of ### boxed sets.

And I happen to have an Outlands encounter table written up for 5e created from a mix of sources & my imagination...let me dig it up for you...

Outlands Encounters (2d10)
2. Earth-berg. Floating chunks of earth and a scarred landscape remain after a chunk of land from the Outlands recently slid into another plane. Echoes of the other plane may remain.
3. Hermitage. A lonely cabin or homestead; the hermit living there might be a monk or petitioner in meditation, a proxy on the run from a god, or a victim of a curse relying on how the Outlands nullifies magic the closer one gets to the Spire to survive their curse.
4. Lost Blood War Patrol. A ragtag group of demons (MM), devils (MM), or yugoloths (MM) that fought in the Blood War and was cut off from the rest of their company or turned renegade. They raid villages and towns in the Outlands, and may or may not seek to return home.
5. Will-o’-Wisps. 1d4 will-o’-wisps (MM) lure creatures toward an old battlefield or hazard.
6. Bariaur Tribe. 10d10 bariaur seek better weather, hunting, or watering holes, enjoying friendly competitions on their journey. They’ll usually provide aid to the injured or lost.
7. Hinterlands Bandits. 3d4 bandits (MM) riding horses (MM) waylay travelers, using terrain to their advantage, springing an ambush or demanding treasure.
8. Living Land. The rivers, trees, and stones themselves have vague faces which come to life with the expenditure of Inspiration or a 1st level spell slot. After conversing for a time, the Land makes a decision about the characters. If they seem mostly neutral (or at least amenable to a neutral philosophy), the Land acts as a commune with nature spell. If they seem of extreme alignments (or intolerant of neutrality), the Land attacks with awakened trees (MM), awakened shrubs (MM), and galeb duhr (MM).
9. Indep Village. A small secluded village following the credo of the Free League (also called “Indeps”) to seek independence above all else.
10. Trade Caravan. A caravan of various humans, half-elves, tieflings, and other races conducting trade with places in the Outlands like Ironridge. Guards, pilgrims, and refugees may be attached to the caravan.
11. Petitioners. A humble village of Outlands petitioners lead agricultural lives, keeping a record of their good, evil, lawful, or chaotic acts, attempting to attain perfect moral balance.
12. Animals. Select any animal. On the Outlands they may have unusual abilities, appearances, and different names. Some examples include: Giant Boars (MM) called “fhorge” which have four tusks, ravenous hunger, and a fiendish glint in their eye. Ravens (MM) called “wastrels” which feast on the fields of the Blood War and can deliver a wasting disease thru prolonged psychic contact. Worgs (MM) called “vorr” which can turn into living shadows and are extremely stealthy hunters.
13. Rilmani Settlement. 4d6 plumach rilmani lead isolationist lives as craftsmen, teamsters, and merchants, and are reluctant to aid or even deal with outsiders. Their opinion of adventurers is quite low as unproductive layabouts.
14. Relative Terrain. Each character sees a terrain feature differently, and for each of them the terrain is as they perceive it. For example, a thicket. Evil characters see it as razorvine (DMG), while good characters see it as blackberry bushes; chaotic characters see it as a non-sensical jumble of difficult terrain, while lawful characters see it as a manicured hedge maze with a winding path thru; and true neutral characters see it as a bush with berries that act as the goodberry spell.
15. Mercane. A company of 1d4 mercane, 2d6 well-paid guards (MM), and attendants trading for rare commodities and magic items.
16. Modrons. A unit of 5d6 monodrones (MM), 2d6 duodrones (MM), 1d4 tridrones (MM), and a quadrone (MM) left behind on the Great Modron March, circumambulating the gatetowns of the Outlands. Several may have gone, or be on the cusp of going, rogue.
17. Slaad. A green slaad (MM) seeks out whatever esoteric knowledge it requires in order to transform into a gray slaad.
18. Spectator. A spectator (MM) guards a location or treasure, pursues an intelligence-gathering mission for Gzemnid, or governs a small village with strict alien rules.
19. Walking Castle. A castle with giant articulating legs treks across the land, inhabited by an eccentric mage (MM) or archmage (MM) seeking out arcane lore or an answer to a philosophical quandary.
20. Spell Crystal Storm. A whirling storm of fractured spell crystals - remnants of divination and summoning spells reaching from the Prime to the Outer Planes - looms on the horizon. The storm functions like heavy rain, but for each minute (or portion thereof) a creature is exposed to storm, they must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or be struck by a spell crystal. A creature struck is effected in one of these ways (d6):
[SECTION]1-2. Blinded for an hour by images of another world.
3-4. Affected as per the confusion spell for an hour as a barrage of questions fills their mind; answering questions satisfactorily ends the confusion early.
5. Randomly wink out of existence onto the Ethereal as per the blink spell for the next hour. If located on the Outer Planes, randomly wink out to the Astral instead.
6. Transported to a Prime world by remnants of a summoning spell for an hour or until the terms of the summoning are fulfilled, after which they reappear in the Outlands.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

Lancelot

Adventurer
There are a variety of realms and pantheons based in the Outlands. I'd suggest a short arc (2-4 sessions) based in one of these locations, to give them a feel for the incredible variety available in the multiverse.

My personal choice would be Tir Na Og, the realm of the Celtic pantheon. Here are some potential sources for ideas...

* The Chronicles of Prydain young adult book series (Book of Three, Black Cauldron, etc)
* Slaine the Barbarian comic series, from 2000 AD
* "Celtic Pantheon" or "Celtic Legends", from Wikipedia
* Brave animated movie, from Pixar
* Any of the following Dungeon magazines from TSR (#21 Cauldron of Plenty, #37 White Boar of Kilfray, #60 Iasc, #73 Quoitine Quest)

...or just pick absolutely any module you have access to, and modify it to add some classic Celtic elements. What sorts of things am I talking about? Well...

* Wicked witches and mischievous fey
* Braggart heroes with a disdain for armor or helmets, who paint their skin with woad (blue dye) and charge headlong into battle
* Magical cauldrons which bring the dead back to life
* Druidic followers of the Earth Mother, who conduct sacred rituals involving mistletoe... and human sacrifice
* Magical torcs (neck rings) with charms of protection or shape-changing
* Unusual weapons such as the gae bulg (or gae bolga; a spear with many barbs) or the tathlum (a sling stone or flail that is either made of concrete, or the skull of a long-dead foe)

...and so forth. Given your characters are originally from a homebrew campaign, they likely will not be familiar with Celtic mythology. This gives the location a strange, other-worldly aura. It also allows you to play a short campaign arc where they are coming to grips that anything can happen in Planescape. I'd personally ramp up the "gonzo" to 11. Have them actually meet some legendary figures from Celtic mythology, or even the avatars of a couple of gods!

When you feel they've got a handle on the fact that Planescape involves big themes and big players, you can move them on to some other location - Sigil, or Baator, or Olympus, or whatever strikes your fancy.

If Celtic doesn't appeal to you, there are a number of other realms that are based in the Outlands. All of the following deities make their homes in the Outlands, according to official Planescape lore: Thoth (Egyptian), the Norns (Norse), Yen-Wang-Yeh (Chinese), Tvashtri (Indian) and more. Another idea would be to have the party act as messengers between some of these realms, exposing them to massive cultural changes... and a huge variety of potential encounters... in only a couple of sessions.

"Whoa! We were simply asked to deliver a torc for a woman called Brigit... and over the last three days, we've fought viking berserkers, crossed a desert river filled with were-crocodiles, and now we've befriended some kind of weird dog-lion that calls itself a "foo". What the heck is this place?!?"

Besides all of the above, you can always have them do what a typical low-level party often does - guard a trade caravan. They can be hired on by a trade caravan going to Tradegate or Sylvania, and can meet or experience virtually all of what has been mentioned in the previous posts. Then when they go through the gate in the gate town, they can experience the disorientation of quick planar travel, especially if they go to Tradegate and then to Bytopia. All of a sudden, there's a whole planar layer just hanging over their heads!

Simulocust

Villager
Thoughts: Planescape is jazz, man. Improvisation. It can be confusing, especially if you approach it like you would Forgotten Realms, or something more, well, classical. See what I did there?

Here's my advice though: If your dead-set on using the Outlands (Sigil was designed to contain low-level PC's until they are ready) then pick a gate town you dig, or one that may be on the verge of shifting to another plane. After all, it's a borderland right? If said town is undergoing some turmoil, and is thusly at risk of shifting onto another plane as a result, you have solved two problems. You can get low-level characters involved in the petty crime (or whatever) that results from the larger problem that is changing the alignment of the town... and you now have a convenient way to escalate to some serious planar intrigue once they have leveled a bit. It's kind of a perfect storm. The PCs think they are solving a problem, taking down some nefarious merchant or small-time cult leader--but with each new adventure the problem just seems to get bigger and bigger until they realize the town has become so chaotic it is about to become part of the Abyss. Eh?

Alex River

First Post
Thanx for reply, everyone: was really useful. I decided to direct them to tradegate through some bizzare encounters with a trade caravan, and their I will implement possible branches to some adventures from well of the worlds and deva spark campaigns. Also I gave a clever plot item to our paladin - a vorpal sword that is broken, and thus, not working (it does piercing damage, while enchantment requres slashing), gonna make some twists around it.

Orcusword

First Post
Our first session was a blast: I appeared to be a great DM and my homebrewn mini-campaign went smooth and great. Now my 4-level players ended up in outlands, with certan magical effect that prevents them from outright using nearest portal to prime material. Overall planescape setting is so confusing I can't imagine anything suitable for the party as it is now. Also, I don't want to involve Sigil and it's intricacies yet. The question is: where I can find, perhaps a module to tweak or at least more specific info of shet going on in gatetowns or outer planes, just to know where a beginner-party should start, untill they get involved in interplanatory scale schemes of gods and demons?

Hello Alex,
I read your barkle and I just enroled to this website to provide you my DM experience on Planescape.

Planescape setting can be VERY dispersive, and I think most DMs just get nervous and unconfortable in handling it, and this usually gets to the Players. But the dark is not to really handle, but to understand it, imagine it and trasmit it to the players. Their PCs have the chance to walk across the Planes of Belief. EVERYTHING should be different from what the Players are used to in their original Prime Plane, the landscape, the people, the architecture, the tavern's furniture, and going further even the colors, the smells and the flavors, and PCs own really feelings should be affected by planewalking.
And mark, different does not (always) mean overexaggerated. In some case is just a matter of providing the PCs with some unnatural detail.

Planescape is not the setting where the PCs save the village from a band of orc raiders. Clearly, this COULD happen, but normally there is a darker plot behind, definitely more than one evil super villain looking for domination/control/whatever. And the PCs should be able to reveal it only through their own interpretation.
Planescape is THE adventuring setting through marvel and discovery, and on each adventure the PC should really get the feeling (or at least be suspicious) that they got involved in something obscure (which normally happens).

And Sigil. Don't delay introducing the PCs to the cage. It is relly essential to provide the PCs a HUB across the planes, and more than this, a source for gathering information and their primary needs. But even more, Sigil allows YOU to occasionally (i would rather say systematically) drop some chant of the ongoing planar events through affiliated Factions/NPCs/Greybeards, events both related to their campaigns and not (remember to find In the Cage and Uncaged). And the Chant... I have not been able to include it, we were playing in a non-EN language and it was not really working well. A pity. But if you can, you will provide them with something unique (see for example at http://www.mimir.net/cant/cant2.html). Last, Sigil provides a lot of Source for Role play, such as...

Factions. Factions are really essentials. The squabble in the Great Wheel is more LAW-CHAOS oriented, and factions play an essential role in the adventures, or at least in the "right" way of closing them. Remember, the PCs are travelling in the Planes of Belief, and Belief should be(come) their (and your) primary basis for Role Play. It will be hard at the beginning, but it's normal, after all they are Clueless from a sodding Prime! Get them approached individually by factions members, trying to convert them. Once done, get them more and more involved with the Faction activities, maybe prepare really short assignement for them. I had in Faction War PCs fighting each against the other, and was memorable... for me and for them!

One last thing. I also made the mistake to start with adventures like Deva spark/Well of worlds/In the Abyss, etc and I still regret it.
You really should think about starting with the Great Modron March / Dead Gods Campaigns, which will take place through several months, of both Gameplay and real time. And, depending on the Modron March stage (location) and the PC levels, you can include the aforementioned adventures as Side events.

Good Luck, and keep us updated on how is going
Orcusword

Remove ads