Planescape Planescape: Simplified Magic Attrition by Plane

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
A friend mentioned being interested in playing 2nd Edition AD&D. While I did ponder the idea, I am not going to switch gears while I'm actively recruiting for another system all together. That thinking did lead me to think about all the bookkeeping of magic items losing their abilities based on how far they are from the plane they were forged on, alignment, and all that stuff.

I may not be remembering correctly, as currently my Planescape books are at my parents' house, but I seem to remember magic items losing their most powerful and/or contradicting the plane's alignment abilities first, likewise casters losing their top casting level first or something like that.

So here are my thoughts:
Material Plane Planet/Demiplanes/Sigil: Your magic works exactly the way it's supposed to, unless that contradicts another rule of that location. For example, a holy ability that actually depended on a god would not work on Athas.
Aligned Planes: Lose the abilities that contradict the plane's alignment first. Lose pluses or lesser abilities for each additional layer of the plane you go to, whichever is more powerful. Yes, this means all weapons are unaligned in the Outlands.
Elemental Planes: Lose contradictory elemental powers first.
Quasielemental Planes: Weaken the opposing kind of energy as well, unless the appropriate energy protection spell was cast first.​
Energy Planes: Lose opposing energy first unless the appropriate energy plane protection spell was cast first.

I'm ambivalent about the Great Wheel as a Multiversal Structure, but the "steps away from the plane it was forged on" was too much bookkeeping and I majored in Accounting! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.

Remove ads