Planescape Planescape to languish in purgatory?

twofalls

DM Beadle
I didn't think I was being incredibly insulting, but wasn't going to argue. Actually I find it rather reassuring that the mods don't let things get out of hand, and that it isn't often needed suggesting that it isn't abused.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I actually think that the designers do like the setting, at least enough to keep it in since 2e. While it may not be a box set or setting book, they still mention Sigil (which I would call the core of the setting) in every edition since. They may not have a huge write up, but they still exist. I think Chris Perkins even set one of his campaigns there so the setting is definitely one which at least some in the design team enjoy. Whether that will see a product, I'm not sure but it would be cool if it does. I don't even think they need to play up alignment that much, instead they can focus on the factions and the planes. They can still talk about the alignments of the planes but it doesn't really need to be core to an updated planescape.

MarkB

Legend
I actually think that the designers do like the setting, at least enough to keep it in since 2e. While it may not be a box set or setting book, they still mention Sigil (which I would call the core of the setting) in every edition since. They may not have a huge write up, but they still exist. I think Chris Perkins even set one of his campaigns there so the setting is definitely one which at least some in the design team enjoy. Whether that will see a product, I'm not sure but it would be cool if it does. I don't even think they need to play up alignment that much, instead they can focus on the factions and the planes. They can still talk about the alignments of the planes but it doesn't really need to be core to an updated planescape.
I don't honestly expect to see it (at least not this edition), but I really wouldn't mind seeing a planar cosmology that isn't so strongly bound up with alignment.

We know Birthright wasn't one of the most popular D&D worlds, but this doesn't mean it can't come back. The world of Aebrynis is perfect for a D&D strategy videogame with armies, strongholds and mass battles.

Dragonlance has been a very important brand, too much to fall in the oblivion but this jewell needs the best craftmen and now they have only "apprentices". They don't want to repeat the same mistakes with the cartoon movie. If there are working into future D&D videogames you can bet Dragonlance will be one of these.

* We have to remember the most of planes are too dangerous for low-level characters.

* Planescape is perfect for an action-live serie set in Sigil. Today with the Stagecraft technology the producers don't have to worry about filming in outdoor. I imagine something like a mixture of Babylon 5 and Xena the warrior princess.

* My suggestion is allowing fan fiction set in the canon D&D worlds, because this would work as advertising.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't honestly expect to see it (at least not this edition), but I really wouldn't mind seeing a planar cosmology that isn't so strongly bound up with alignment.
It has the added strength of respecting the lore of individual settings better than planescape by not imposing itself on what happens within a setting's own sphere and afaik it doesn't say things like those settings have xyz planar structure with gods pretty much from one setting being involved in matters within other settings.

Some of that might be the result of it not being revisited for so long, but there is a Less to reconcile with spelljammer and individual settings than planescape's asmodeous totally has this very specific Mary sue metaplot going on with tieflings & x is this particular setting's plane of y rather than something specific and unique"

Last edited:

It has the added strength of respecting the lore of individual settings better than planescape by not imposing itself on what happens within a setting's own sphere and afaik it doesn't say things like those settings have xyz planar structure with gods pretty much from one setting being involved in matters within other settings.

Some of that might be the result of it not being revisited for so long, but there is a Lyles to reconcile with spelljammer and individual settings than planescape's asmodeous totally has this very specific Mary sue metaplot going on with tieflings & x is this particular setting's plane of y rather than something specific and unique"

Planescape also has the problem of being totally incompatible with Eberron, irrelevant to Dark Sun and Ravenloft, and incredibly ridiculous when it comes to Dragonlance.

(Takhisis lives in the Nine Hells! Sure, she thinks she lives in the Abyss, and Raistlin thought he was there when he visited here, but it was really the Nine Hells! Honest, guv.)

twofalls

DM Beadle
Planescape also has the problem of being totally incompatible with Eberron, irrelevant to Dark Sun and Ravenloft, and incredibly ridiculous when it comes to Dragonlance.

(Takhisis lives in the Nine Hells! Sure, she thinks she lives in the Abyss, and Raistlin thought he was there when he visited here, but it was really the Nine Hells! Honest, guv.)
You aren't wrong, but then again these things can be easily reconciled with a little judicious creativity on WotC part.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You aren't wrong, but then again these things can be easily reconciled with a little judicious creativity on WotC part.
4e says otherwise.with at least one setting book changing the setting in bizarre and confusing ways.to make thst setting more compatible with it. wotc ditching most of that but still not being able to resist slapping a shadowfell label on a distinct plane suggests thst a setting rooted in forcing it's own planar structure and metaplot lore onto other settings is likely to fail thst easy reconciliation bar andbe problematic if they try.

TheSword

Legend
I don’t believe that Eberron is incompatible with the Planescape universe. The planar portals represented by the moons could easily open onto their equivalents in the Planescape multiverse - and there are distinct equivalents.

Regarding Dark Sun, it is the total (almost) absence of access to the outer planes that make Darksun unique. If the planar conduits existed as normal then it wouldn’t be very interesting. Incidentally the inner planes very much do connect with Athas. So I don’t see how it can be irrelevant.

Ultimately the good news is that Planescape has become so subsumed into the core game that it is pretty much a given now. I don’t think the question will ever be will Planescape ever languish.

Its more a question of whether Sigil will be concentrated on, in the same way a desert themed adventure, or cosmic horror adventure might.

I’m always disappointed when people try to remove alignment from the planes though. Limbo, Hades, Elysium, Mechanus and all the permutations in between are both interesting and evocative.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
I have mixed feelings on the Planescape setting (and Manual of the Planes). I'm not a fan of the Great Wheel, as I prefer the World Axis or Eberron's Orrery since the latter two are constructed more around places for adventure. I don't like the Blood War. And I think that Planescape tends towards a nihlistic sophistry when it comes to its view of the universe. And its guilds having a somewhat sophomoric understanding of philosophy. But the idea of a cosmopolitan planar City of Doors run by strange guilds and inhabitants from across the planes? Sounds absolutely fantastic. The Ravnica Guilds, however, have more interesting flavor for me than the Sigil Guilds. I'm also honestly not sure if I would even use D&D if I wanted to run Planescape, as there are probably TTRPGs out there that could better engage the themes, aesthetics, and style of play that Planescape tries to cultivate. (This is also one of my criticisms about a lot of 2E settings: e.g., Dark Sun, Birthright, etc.) I would still be interested in seeing Planescape/Sigil receive a proper update for D&D.

Remove ads