D&D 5E Player Boons

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I'm a big proponent of giving my players boons as rewards. It makes their characters feel unique and gives them more options to use with their bonus actions (for those characters that don't have as many bonus action options). Now, I'm not too concerned about balance, as this is more of a story driven game. But I do value mechanics and want to make sure that the abilities compare well so no one character too greatly outshines the others. So here are the abilities I'm considering:

Gift of the Silver Flame (for a Life Cleric of the Silver Flame)
You can call upon the light of the Silver Flame to aid your allies or burn your foes. As a bonus action, you can grant one ally within 20’ with temporary HP equal to your proficiency bonus. Alternatively, you can target one enemy within 20’ and deal radiant damage equal to your proficiency bonus. There is no attack roll necessary for the attack.

Dirty Fighting (Mastermind Rogue)
Your weapon can magically create a puff of sand directly in your enemy’s eyes. Once per long rest, on a successful sneak attack you can forgo sneak attack damage and instead blind the target. Target is blinded until the end of the target's next turn. Target gets a Con Saving Throw (DC 8 + Proficiency + Dexterity Bonus) at the end of every turn. On a success the target regains their vision.

Warp Reality (Chaos Magic Sorcerer)
Note: They just fought a gibbering mouther
Once per long rest, when you successfully affect someone with a spell you cast, you can choose to warp space around that target. The target experiences the area immediately around them become dough-like and difficult to move in. Their speed is reduced by half and they can't take reactions. This is a permanent effect on the target.

Animate Minion (Necromancer)
Note: I could use some help with wording this better)
Once per long rest, you can animate the corpse of someone that has been dead for less than a day and no larger than Large size. As an action, you raise the creature from the dead. You can command the creature as a bonus action, and it acts on your initiative. The undead minion follows your commands to the best of its ability. It has no memories or abilities that it had in life, though it maintains any modes of movement that it had in life. Your undead minion uses your stats, AC, and saving throws. It automatically fails any ability checks or saving throws requiring intelligence, and has disadvantage on wisdom or charisma based ability checks. Your minion cannot speak, though it can understand any language you speak. It has 1 HP, and it can deliver touch spells as a familiar would. You may only have a number of undead minions equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded down). The undead minions may make use of gear and magic items, and are proficient in any weapons you provide them. These undead minions last until destroyed.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What level characters are these? The abilities seem pretty strong to me.

For Animate Minion you'll need to say whether they get your racial, class, and feat abilities along with your "stats." I think it would be easier to just say the corpse becomes a zombie, with the extra ability to deliver spells for you.

Satyrn

First Post
The thing that leaps out at me is that the Silver Flame ability (and the Animate Minion in a way) are at-will while the others are once/rest. I'd feel kind of shafted if I was one of ths others.

I see little wrong in making both the rogue's and sorcerer's abilities at will, too (once/round anyway), just switch up the sorcerer's so it can end on a save like the rogue's. Oh, instead of once/per round, make it so that it can only be used after if it's not already in effect, so you can only affect one foe at a time.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
For Animate Minion you'll need to say whether they get your racial, class, and feat abilities along with your "stats." I think it would be easier to just say the corpse becomes a zombie, with the extra ability to deliver spells for you.

For booking keeping purposes I thought it might be easier to assume stats similar to the necromancer, but maybe I will go with creating stats for a minor undead creature.

The thing that leaps out at me is that the Silver Flame ability (and the Animate Minion in a way) are at-will while the others are once/rest. I'd feel kind of shafted if I was one of ths others.

I see little wrong in making both the rogue's and sorcerer's abilities at will, too (once/round anyway), just switch up the sorcerer's so it can end on a save like the rogue's. Oh, instead of once/per round, make it so that it can only be used after if it's not already in effect, so you can only affect one foe at a time.

Well, the main reason I'm using this approach is that I'm trying to give my players more options to do cool things. The Silver Flame ability is a minor damage or HP boost, but it scales with level. Even though it's at will, it has much less lasting effect, especially since this is a challenging/deadly game.

With the necromancer, I always thought it funny that the necromancer can't actually raise a corpse minion until level 5, and even then must donate a spell slot each day to keep them. While it is a more lasting effect, being a 1 HP minion will make them very squishy. They'll last a round or 2 in combat on average, if that.

The reason I did once per day with the other two is that those abilities have much more consequence in battlefield control. The Rogue Mastermind is almost always getting sneak attack because there's always an ally within 5' of his targets, and having the potential to continually blind everyone seems too great. Also, the Rogue has lots of options to use for his bonus action, so I thought this would give him something that seemed more interesting. Also, I wanna keep it cool, and if you can do something most rounds, it can get boring or monotonous. Like I said, this is more of a story driven game with difficult encounters, and right now he's already typically outshining everyone in terms of kill count and damage.

As for the sorcerer, I would say it's similar to the rogue. My concern is too much battlefield control if he can do it at will. But I also think it's interesting in that if the spell is effective, he can tack on this additional effect for free.

But this feedback is exactly why I come here and post stuff, to make sure I am accounting for everything, or at least as much as possible.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm thinking I'm gonna limit the Silver Flame ability to just damage. No temp hp. That complicates things a bit.

I would've gone the other way, just because dealing a couple points of damage seems far more boring than keeping you allies topped up with a few extra hp. Although those temp hp can work out to a huge boost in the party's longevity. They could stand a long long time longer against low damage dealing foes.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I would've gone the other way, just because dealing a couple points of damage seems far more boring than keeping you allies topped up with a few extra hp. Although those temp hp can work out to a huge boost in the party's longevity. They could stand a long long time longer against low damage dealing foes.

Yea, I think I keep flip flopping on that. On the one hand, as a player it's a cool ability and I always enjoy giving players more options. On the other, it definitely makes things a little harder on me. But then again, it's already a pretty deadly game as it is. I think I just need to dwell on this a bit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases