Player challenges

Richards

Legend
If you don't mind a more generic approach, check out "Challenge of Champions IV" in Dungeon #91 (hitting the shelves right about now). It's a series of ten puzzle-based scenarios, suitable for PCs of any level. On the plus side, it would be a simple matter to incorporate into your campaign: The PCs' rivals learn that the Adventurers Guild is sponsoring the latest Challenge in a nearby city within a couple of days and challenges the PCs to enter and try to achieve a better score than their own team does. On the down side, the ten scenarios are not geared toward specific character classes, so there's no real "ranger vs. ranger" event or anything going on; it's all "team vs. team." And, unfortunately, the Challenges of Champions are built specifically for four-person teams. Of course, you can always split your 6-person PC group into two four-person teams and have both teams compete. (The adventure includes extra NPCs to round out a given team if they're short a team member or two.) Just a thought.

Sinistar

Thanks for the ideas! I was just at the gaming store on lunch, and Dungeon '91 was not in yet. Drats!

Which Dungeon magazines had the other Challenges? I have been spotty on my collection of Dungeon, but I don't remember seeing them. I could have just tucked them asside though...

thanks for the great ideas, keep them coming...

A modified game of Capture the Flag. Each side gets a designated amount of time (4 hours?) to make their flag secure somewhere in their half of the arena (Obviously the other side can't see them do this). They can build traps, cast illusions, etc.

Once the contest begins, the first team to capture the other team's flag wins. Subdual damage only, on contestants. Once a character (on either team) drops, he/she is out of the contest.

Feel free to throw in other variants such as traps/spells/challenges set up by a third party.

Good luck.

Richards

Legend
Which Dungeon magazines had the other Challenges? I have been spotty on my collection of Dungeon, but I don't remember seeing them. I could have just tucked them asside though...

Challenge of Champions - Dungeon #58
Challenge of Champions II - Dungeon #69
Challenge of Champions III - Dungeon #80

These first three were written for AD&D 2nd Edition, so if you use them you'll have to do a little bit of converting.

Sinistar

excellent!
thanks guys. I have a good idea now for what to do. I am not sure if I have those dungeon mags, but I will search.

I may even throw in a tug of war between the two partys. Combine the strength on both side and use that as the DC for the strength check... Hmm. I will think about that.

But the ideas are great. The party will enjoy this, and who knows they might even win!

thanks again.
tp

Remove ads