• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Primers

Mercurius

Legend
I'm thinking of putting together some kind of Player Primer for my new campaign starting up in January. While I don't envision it being too extravagant, I'm thinking it would include a brief overview of the world - what an average somewhat educated character might know - and some options for character templates that combine race, class, and background (e.g. "Dunedain Ranger of Arnor") for them to choose from if they need ideas. I might also include a regional map, a list of gods, etc.

Anyone make player primers for new campaign settings? What do you include? How long is it? What do you find to be the sweetspot that conveys enough info, but that players actually read?

I'm going for 4-6 pages. 1-2 pages of world overview, 1-2 pages of character templates, 1 page on religion, and a map.

Kinak

First Post
My advice? Cut until you can't stand to cut anymore, then keep cutting. Narrow your description and focus until you have a page to give to the players.

A good start is the "5 things everyone knows about X" approach from Eberron. Three lists of five things each comes out to about a page.

Then they can start asking questions to fill in gaps they may need.

That assumes, of course, that you can all create characters together. If people are doing it ahead of time, you probably need more material up front.

Cheers!
Kinak

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Having done some fairly expansive player guides over the years, I have to agree with the above: short is probably better.

Though...you can have something longer understanding that it would work as a reference, and some characters will read this bit or that bit.

Of course, even for 1 page, and its very relevant for the charecter, it may not be read, whereas something that is longer and more tangential might be. I have seen both cases, multiple times.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm a big fan. What we did for our latest AP was a 2-page primer (including art!) and a much bigger player's guide for those who wanted it.

the Jester

Legend
If it's more than one page, the only players who are going to read it are the same ones who are going to read the full campaign setting document if you let them.

One page, even front and back, is a small enough bite that the players are likely to read it. Mostly. One page, front only (map on back) is a MUCH more realistic size than even front-and-back is.

For a take on this which addresses individual cultures, take a look at Heroquest Voices. Two pages about a culture, as explained by a senior member of that culture to a younger one. And two pages on religion that won't be as helpful for a setting where it's not as important as in Glorantha.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm a big fan. What we did for our latest AP was a 2-page primer (including art!) and a much bigger player's guide for those who wanted it.

I assume you mean Zeitgeist? I couldn't find one for Santiago. But thanks for mentioning that as it is helpful to see a good example. I think what you offer there is on the right track - a brief, evocative description, a list of "things to know about" the setting, a (-n extraodinarily) brief historical timeline, and a map.

I suppose the only thing I'd consider adding is something about player characters - races, and possible backgrounds. But I suppose it is implied in the "things to know about" part, so maybe that's enough.

Assuming you are using a homebrewed setting a player guide can be a good idea. The more different your campaign world is from "standard" settings of the game you are playing, the more work is needed to go into it. I find it helpful to catagorize setting differences by immediate impact and visibility. For example, the complicated marriage rites of your dwarves can be put on the back burner, but if your elves are all purple with green hair, that kind of needs to appear early on.

As far as length goes, keep it as brief as you can without leaving important things out. If your world is different enough from the standard to require 3+ pages then so be it. If the players don't want to read it thats Ok but it won't be your fault when they do stupid stuff based on incorrect assumptions.

Remove ads