• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player request, Ramna 1/2? Looking for ideas and suggestions

Oni

First Post
Emotional Trigger

A certain (common) word

Whenever it might create a funny situation and entertains the DM

whenever healed

daytime/nighttime

Occurs if a certain preventative measure is not taken (could give a few rounds warning. i.e. you're starting to feel funny better do X by Y or else)

On a completely separate note I'm curious what edition/race/class this character is, because that big a swing on stats can be huge depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Dragonbait

Explorer
Relique du Madde said:
I really hope your game isn't 4e cause then that'll open up an old tired thread crap.
Daily power with other modifications rather than a stat modifications.

The problem with a "curse" like that is it becomes a mechanical element to use for min/max play. Need to cross a chasm? Quick, turn into a girl! Need to fight a strong monster? Quick, turn into a boy! Bascially, it gives the player access to a choice to flex her statistics that the other players don't have.

If you are going to grant the benefit, you'll definitely need to make the thing that causes the transformation something you can control. Something that the player could not easily abuse to take advantage of the a myriad of situations, like Umbran points out. Something like if they are hit by a critical, or something like that.. Maybe something less combat-oriented so it could happen in social situations.

In a fantasy anime called Ruin Explorers, one of the characters was cursed and whenever she cast a spell she would turn into a mouse (albeit one that could talk). The curse apparently could not be removed, her armor and weapons didn't change with her, and she had pills that allowed her to change back, but they were a limited supply.

Umbran said:
In the show, the issues that made it a curse were social and gender-roles based, not mechanical.
Edit: Relique beat me to it.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
A couple of possibilities:

Whenever s/he gets to a new location.
Whenever s/he engages a new monster type in combat.

Um, that's all I've got for now. Sounds to me like it could work just fine. (I once had a couple of players in a GURPS game who both had split personalities, each being the other's squire depending on personality. Much hilarity ensued, although it was rather confusing at times!)

fba827

Adventurer
It depends a little on the group as to whether you can get away with the trigger event being "story/description" or if it should be measurable in game mechanics. With one type of group, they might start to quibble if the trigger event happens and someone doesn't think it could happen at that particular time.

So, having said that, here are a couple ideas off the top of my head that stay in game mechanic terms -- not that story ideas aren't valid (in fact, i tend to prefer them myself, but for the sake of this ...)

*whenever he is healed by any magical means, each instance of healing will switch his gender.
* whenever he takes damage he switches to male, whenever he is healed, he switches to female (or visa versa)
* whenever he has less than one-half his total hit points, he is male, otherwise, he is female (or visa versa)
* anytime he is (within a certain distance) of a particular monster type (undead, goblinoids, etc) then he switches to female. once he is away from them he switches back to male
* anytime he is hit by a certain type of damage (fire, cold, etc) he switches. and another type of damage switches him back
* at some particular time of day (like midnight, or sunrise) he switches gender
* anytime any sort of magic is cast on him (be it a buff, or attack, etc) he switches
* anytime he has a wizard-type spell cast on him (be it friendly or damaging) he switches to male. anytime a cleric-type spell is cast on him (be it friendly or damaging) he switches to female.
* or make it random: every time he wakes up, flip a coin to determine gender
* he switches gender when he touches a magic item

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is not a thing that the character of the player is suppose to have power over and therefore cannot change at will. It is suppose to be an inconvenance.

Respectfully, I think you underestimate the cleverness of players. Mark my words, if there's such a notable mechanical difference, the player will look for ways to take advantage of it when push comes to shove and they really need to accomplish something. And, being clever, they'll probably find a way.

Krensky

First Post
Umbran's right. considering the nature of D&D abilities and sexual dimorphism (ie, the actual differences in strength and whatever between men and women fade into the granularity and averaging of the system) just have them change gender whenever the curse call for it. No mechanical changes. Just RP ones. Ye olde girdle of opposite gender didn't change anything other then gender, this curse shouldn't either.

Day and night is a classic (and used a number of times in manga/anime). Tying it to the phases of the moon would be interesting as well, especially if the player wants to try and do something serious minded and try and play a sliding scale of masculinity/femininty. Male and overtly masculine when full, female and very feminine when new, and in transition between them as it waxes and wanes. For simplicity's sake, you might want the sexual characteristics to change at the quarters.

Last edited:

Dragonbait

Explorer
Day and night is a classic (and used a number of times in manga/anime). Tying it to the phases of the moon would be interesting as well, especially if the player wants to try and do something serious minded and try and play a sliding scale of masculinity/femininty. Male and overtly masculine when full, female and very feminine when new, and in transition between them as it waxes and wanes. For simplicity's sake, you might want the sexual characteristics to change at the quarters.

A were-woman (or were-man)?
Or how about this one:
The macho barbarian with the curse to the dwarf figther: "I just love that cute chainmail-great helm combo you are wearing, Gildrem!" Everyone turns to look at him "Oh sorry, it's that time of the month."

eh? ehhh? ehhhhhh?

*audience boo's Dragonbait*

Arnwyn

First Post
And, honestly, having watched far too much Ranma back in the day - the character there didn't change stats upon changing forms. And definitely not by a whopping 4.
You are mistaken.

My wife and I have just finished (just) finished watching the series, and yes - Ranma gets weaker and faster as a female. The show (Ranma himself) made that abundantly clear, actually.

As to 4 being "whopping"? That's subjective, and in any case, not what the OP asked for.

The suggested day/night (or phases of the moon) are pretty good suggestions in place of hot/cold water.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads