Player Responsibility for the GM's Fun??

aramis erak

Legend
I can’t help feeling that if fun requires that much effort, there are probably other problems going in. Hanging out with your friends doing a thing you all enjoy pretty much makes its own fun.

Not everyone gets to game with friends.

Organized play often has players who unwittingly and cluelessly ruin the fun for others.

Goblyn

Explorer
-Don’t smell
-Don’t cheat (whether by dice or rules "mistakes")
-Show up on time
-Be ready on your turn
-Engage with the DM’s world
-Don’t purposefully tank the DM’s plotlines (I'm not going to railroad you, but don't try to sabotage my campaign, either)
-Don’t cause trouble with other PCs

I know it's several pages passed, but I'm stealing this list.

KenNYC

Explorer
I realize this is a very subjective question but I'd be interested in hearing whether people think the players have any responsibility for their GM's fun and if so what the responsibility of players are when it comes to their GM having fun and enjoying the game.

It's strange but often true that the Dungeon Master is really the Dungeon Servant, and that his enjoyment comes only when the players derive enjoyment from all his hard work. It's almost like the satisfaction a grandmother gets when you love the dinner she made for you. When I DM all it takes to make me happy is players are into my ideas, and they don't get on their cell phones. Every time a player goes on their cell phone I die a little inside. Sadly, in 2018 that is the rule more than the exception.

Players who show indifference suck, players who don't care about theme or ever give their characters personality suck, players who only care how much damage they do and how they can min max their stats suck. Those people I despise DMing for, and don't really enjoy playing with.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I expect myself to show up and be a positive add to the game.

Be on time - or early whenever possible.
Try to keep my own character flaws (attention hog) in check.
Pass dice, minis, &c around the table when the guy in the corner can't reach.
Help new players figure out what's what.
Not take over DM'ing (I'm a former DM) but help out the real DM.
Stay on target.
Leave the non-game stuff at home (unless somebody else opens a can of worms).
Be ready to act when my turn comes around.
Know the rules and be able / willing to look up anything that is uncertain.
D&D is supposed to be cooperative; no solo stunts.
No planning how to sabotage another player or another character.

S

Sunseeker

Yep, I know that feeling.

But if I notice their eyes wandering towards any electronics, I'll just switch the spotlight to them.

As an experienced multitasker, I love throwing this back at them by making no eye contact and then demonstrate that I am paying attention and acutely aware of what is going on. Declare my actions appropriately, then return to my phone. :p

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yep, I know that feeling.

But if I notice their eyes wandering towards any electronics, I'll just switch the spotlight to them.
Not quite so simple in my game, where I've put a lot of the rules*, spell write-ups*, maps, etc. online - it's easier for each person to have a tablet or phone to access this stuff than to have several people competing for the single paper copy.

* - most or all of which have been partly or completely rewritten from the original book versions meaning the PH has become largely redundant.

Remove ads