Players choose what their PCs do . . .

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

It's hard to tell. My enjoyment of a given game is so dependent on the players, characters and situations involved that one mix might work even if the pacing was quicker than is usually ideal while another game closer to my ideal pace might not work for me. There's really no way to make sure a game will work out before hand. You just have to try it. Like that 4e game hit all the right notes for me, but even with the slower pace I wasn't feeling Lucann in the Dungeon World game. You are probably right it would not be an ideal fit. I tend to be solidly on what Vincent Baker calls the left hand side of the Forge while I expect you and pemerton are in the middle.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Fair enough, but if nobody steers the boat (which by implication also means nobody pays attention to where it's going) then one of several things will inevitably happen at some point:
- the boat will aimlessly drift on the tide*
- the boat will get pushed into danger, or run aground, by the tide or by its own propulsion
- the boat will, assuming the presence of the right equipment, steer itself on autopilot*

* - until either the boat runs out of fuel/wind or those sitting on said boat run out of beer.

Imagine that we stole the boat and if anything should happen to the boat we can just steal another one.

My personal take is that the game and these characters have no intrinsic value. Their value is in the experience we get in play. If we use them up, if they have nothing left to say, or if we no longer have an interest in following this particular fiction there are always more games and more characters. We're on a joyride here. In order to get the most of them we cannot protect them. Sometimes we get 6 sessions. Sometimes 12. Sometimes 100. There's no way to tell and we wouldn't want to if we tried.

I have been in games before where we have tried to hold onto the characters and situation well past their expiration date because of the sunk cost fallacy. Like no one was excited about the characters or what was going on. That just going through the motions thing feels like a bad relationship or a dead end job. Ever watch a TV show where they should have ended it like 3 seasons ago?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I did not say nobody influences the fiction.

I know. I was setting it up to knock it down, to point out that "zero influence on story direction" doesn't exist. This gets us past the usual polar divide that the internet drives conversation to, and perhaps into a better place to discuss the middle ground.

I am saying that nobody should seek to take control of it or decide how it should go ahead of time. I am emphatically not talking about distribution of authority here. I am talking about everyone at the table making a principled decision to avoid story advocacy, play to find out what happens, be a fan of all the characters, and being curious explorers of the fiction. I am talking about the principles behind player (including the GM) decision making here.

I don't think anyone can actually go to *zero* story advocacy. The GM, especially - the GM is in fact pretty much always engaged in at least short-term story advocacy, implicitly. Every framing of a scene is gong to be advocacy for the type of story that's going to happen in that scene.

Are they providing honest adversity? Are they trying to push the characters in a particular direction? Are they curious and excited about the fiction? Are they fans of the PCs?

The only one of these that is in question in this discussion is about pushing characters in a particular direction.

It is my earnest opinion that a game that is centered on character advocacy and playing to find out what happens is a difference in kind and not degree from one that is focused on story advocacy from either the GMs or players ...

I think that there's difference in degree, because, really, as human beings, some amount of desire for the story to go one way or another is going to show up in the decisions. Purity of thought is denied us. Someone's going to go, "oh, wait, wouldn't it be cool if..." and make character decisions with that in mind.

It is my earnest opinion that dogma at the RPG table is a limiter of fun. If you want to talk about guidelines and frameworks, sure. But those things need a lot of bend and flex, or we deny ourselves the ability to reach a lot of fun for the sake of purity.

aramis erak

Legend
Actually, no, I stated "I agree with the generally-stated position that the more system you have, the more apt it is to break immersion."; what I actually stated is that I find DitV's system less breaking than PbtA's version. Not that either is more immersive than no system at all.

Not everyone shares that reductio...

When I'm in an RP with no rules, I'm constantly trying to figure where the verisimilitude cliff is...

I find it actually harder to stay in character without framed constraints, and without an estimable chance of success.

In short, I generate game whether the mechanics are agreed upon or not, and don't enjoy not knowing the mechanics, or at least components of acceptance decision trees...

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I like fun as much as the next guy, but there are multiple types of fun. Not all types of fun can meaningfully coexist in the same game.

I realize that we all have the impulse towards story advocacy, to seize control of narrative. Real full throated character advocacy requires a certain amount of emotional vulnerability and discipline. We all have hopes and dreams for our characters. That's normal, but by embracing character advocacy in the moment we get to follow these characters down a road where we get to see who they really are. As fans we get to see them put through the crucible and experience real tension as to how things will turn out for them.

When we start making decisions for the sake of story we create emotional distance, undermine tension, and decide we know what's best for everyone at the table. As a player when the GM undermines the rules or does not play their NPCs with integrity fr the sake of the story it destroys tension. Nothing feels authentic. More importantly they are not going on this journey with me. Same thing when another player makes decisions based on what they want to have happen. I can't play with the sort of emotional investment I want to if the other players are not approaching play with the same level of emotional vulnerability and commitment to their characters. Same thing from the other side of the screen. It's hard to be a fan of the character if the player is not putting their energy into playing him or her with integrity as if they were a real person.

Like I have played plenty of games where story advocacy is on the table and was able to enjoy myself, but not in the way I really want to. I am not going to invest deeply in a character if there is not a reciprocal relationship. It does not feel safe to me. As a player I have felt what it's like when a GM has decided what my character's narrative arc should be. As a GM I have dealt with players who were upset by how dice rolls "defined their character". Both experiences were not positive for me. Those experiences have been rare, luckily.

Having preferences born of experience and dissatisfaction with mainstream games is not dogma. I'm not standing here telling everyone they should play a certain way. No one calls someone dogmatic because they want to play poker rather euchre. No one calls someone dogmatic because they prefer Overwatch to World of Warcraft.

The alternative that everyone should accept story advocacy into their games is dogmatic. It effectively is saying we all need to accept the mainstream approach.

pemerton

Legend
I tend to be solidly on what Vincent Baker calls the left hand side of the Forge while I expect you and pemerton are in the middle.
I don't know this terminology - can you elaborate?

Re your posts about pace and conflict and "downtime", do you have any/much play experience with Cortex+ Heroic/MHRP? It has some features I suspect you wouldn't like - eg you generally have to pay metagame currency ("plot points") to significantly exploit fictional positioning - and it also has a very high degree of "drive towards conflict" (perhaps as befits its 4-colour inspiration).

As I've become more experienced in GMing it, and also from a close read of published scenarios, I've become more comfortable with a range of techniques for ameliorating some implications of these features. But they're still there.

pemerton

Legend
I think story advocacy can be hard to resist, though I'm more familiar with it on the GM side than the player side ("player side railroading").

The games I play tend to lean heavily on the GM to narrate failure consequences. And because - to date - those don't include PbtA games except some fairly brief DW expereind, they don't tend to have the systematic approach to generating fiction/backstory that is part of those games, which tends to feed into a principled narration of failures.

That's not to say that my failure narration in (say) BW or Classic Traveller is unprincipled, but it's much more at large than (I think) PbtA would make it. (And this is what prompted me not far upthread to ask [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] about approaches to framing conflicts.)

If there were no mechanics to impose discipline then I think it would be even harder to avoid story advocacy. Mechanics are what produce strange PC failures that push things where we weren't expecting, or produce sudden ends to NPCs and their plots. Upthread [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] voiced concern about "bypassing challenges" by their deployment of (especially non-combat) mechanics. That seems to be a strong version of story advocacy - that we have to play through this stuff if the game is to be what it is supposed to be.

pemerton

Legend
What this does is blow away the very real possibility that while the high-level heroes can do 35+ hit points that doesn't mean they're every time going to on a successful hit; the dice might say 24, meaning Joe gets one more chance at glory (or more likely, a chance to surrender or run like hell).
Do you feel the same concern for the 1 hp kobold or orc or goblin in all those old modules? I mean, why can't those PCs just do 1/2 a point of damage and let those humanoids have one more chance at glory?

No system for combat resolution is infinitely granular. Boundries are drawn and limits on variability set. I mean, there's a chance that any outdoor combat will be disrupted by sudden torrential rain, but I don't know any RPG that expressly provides for this in its combat resolution system.

Your particluar concernt about 4e's minions is purely aesthetic. You're not showing that any inconsistencies have arisen or will arise.

Let's say the same 17th-level warrior, after finishing off poor Joe, rolls up the line and finds her next opponent to be Bob, a 1st-level PC with less going for him than Joe had; Bob's staring down swordinnahead probably faster than Joe got it. But because Bob's a PC his numbers wouldn't change in the slightest - they're locked in to what it says on his character sheet. So why in the name of mechanical and internal consistency isn't the same true for Joe?
The notion of "internal consistency" does no work here. By "mechanical consistency" I assume you mean something like unchanging mechanical framing of the resolution. In which case your example makes no sense. If your 4e D&D game involves a 17th level PC fighting a 1st level PC the system has nothing to offer you. You're on your own.

Much the same as you can't use the AD&D mechanics to resolve the difference between taking one or three slaps of a shoe to kill that spider you found in your bedroll.

they are a representation of something that does: Joe's toughness. Not his toughness in relation to any specific thing else, but his toughness in relation to everything else put together.
What Mr. Baker fails to note in that quote (though for all I know addresses it elsewhere) is that the numbers serve another purpose: they provide the framework via which the players (and GM) can quantify elements of the fiction that need quantifying in order to give a playable game: base stats, combat skill levels, toughness, armour, etc. Put another way, you say the numbers in 4e aren't a model of the fiction, but if they aren't then how are the players (and the GM, for that matter) expected to mechanically interact with the fiction on any sort of internally-consistent basis - what model can they use, if not the numbers?
The numbers are not a model. They're a resolution system.

The players and GM interact mechanically by deploying the resolution system. That verges on tautological, but I don't know what else you are asking.

The numbers aren't always absolutes in and of themselves, but what they do accomplish is to define relative differences between one thing and the next

<snip>

Joe's 35 hit points tell us his relative toughness in comparison to every other creature in the game world...including but by no means limited to whatever he's fighting at the moment.
This simply isn't true in 4e.

An 8th level Ogre Savage has AC 19 and 111 hp. A 16th level Ogre Bludgeoneer has AC 28 and 1 hp (and never takes damage on a miss, because a minion). Which is tougher?

It's a trick question - they're of the same toughness, each wearing hide armour and wielding a greatclub, but statted differently for different resolution contexs.

Joe might be a pushover when faced with a 17th level warrior but his toughness relative to the rest of the world hasn't changed
This is the same for the ogre savage and ogre bludgeoneer. There toughness relative to the rest of the world is what it is. It is a feature of the fiction. It doesn't need to be statted out. That's not what stats are for - they're not tools for zoologists and ecologists, they're tools for players of a game wishing to resolve action declaratoins in that game.

all too often imagination and description simply aren't good enough, even if the GM gives the most in-depth narration you can conceive. Why's that? Because narrating the same scene to four different people is almost certainly going to paint four different pictures, one each in the imagination of each listener. And when you add that none of those pictures might match the actual picture the narrator is trying to describe, unless the narrator has a drawing or photo of the scene to bring everyone together you're inevitably going to get questions and misunderstandings; which IME can lead to some thunderous arguments if players base their actions on imagined or mis-interpreted scene elements that differ from what the narrator had in mind.
Give me a concrete example, from actual play, of someone being confused about the fiction of an ogre because it was statted as a 16th level minion rather than an 8th level standard. Until you do, I simpy don't believe that this is an issue.

And for this mechanical representation of the fiction to work in any sort of consistent and trustworthy manner, the numbers, once set, have to remain so unless something materially changes about the creature**. The players have to be able to trust that the setting is internally consistent enough in its mechanics that the ogre they met (and fled from!) at 1st level is mechanically going to be the same when they meet it again at 15th level, or when they go back to town and send their bosses out after it.
Again, present me with an actual play example that actually proves this.

I've played a 4e game in which the same players, playing the same PCs, have fought hobgoblins statted as standard creatures (the PCs were around mid-heroic tier) and as minions and swarms in the form of hobgoblin phalanxes (the PCs were around mid-paragon tier). The players did not confused. They were not unable to trust the setting. On the contrary this helped confirm their sense of the setting - PCs who once had been well-matched by a single hobgobling could now leap into the midst of a phalanx of hobgoblins and cut them down. The phalanxes could replenish their numbers and thus their fighting strength by incorporating stray hobgoblins (mechanically: the swarm can kill an adjacent hobgobling minion to heal).

The issues you assert will arise do not. The fiction is clear. The resolution process is clear. No on is confused or misled. There are no inconsistencies, neither in the fiction nor at the table.

Your assertion that minions produce inconsistency in the fiction is completely without foundation. They do produce a difference between how 4e mechanics work and your own aesthetic preference. But that's not an inconsistency in anyone's fiction.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The idea that we have to have representative mechanics to produce an internally consistent fiction is an interesting one to me. Some of the games I play only recommend stating out the parts of the NPC required in the game. So like we don't need combat stats for a teacher. Sometimes for trivial opponents they might resolve combat with a single roll. Several games take the same take that 4e takes where the important bit is reflecting ability relative to PCs. Exalted 3e calls out its abstractions and gives advice on when you should treat an NPC as scenery, trivial, part of a battle group, quick character, or as a fully statted character.

The really interesting thing to me is several games I play do not even feature NPC stats as a function of play. Sorcerer and Blades in the Dark lack any creature stats at all. Blades does not even have a combat system at all. Instead it relies on the GM using the same systems and judgement they use for every other situation to adequately reflect the fiction. Really this is how most mainstream games handle non-combat => GM takes into account fictional positioning to resolve what's going on in the fiction. I don't see many people claiming that the setting is made of paper because of that.

Sometimes these details even expand beyond NPCs to PC capabilities. In Masks we do not have any mechanical representation of a PC's powers. We handle everything through fictional positioning because the game is not about those details. I have never felt the setting was made of sand because of that. In Monsterhearts there are no rules for how strong or fast your PC is because that's like not what the game is about. We figure it out if it comes up.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I don't know this terminology - can you elaborate?

Re your posts about pace and conflict and "downtime", do you have any/much play experience with Cortex+ Heroic/MHRP? It has some features I suspect you wouldn't like - eg you generally have to pay metagame currency ("plot points") to significantly exploit fictional positioning - and it also has a very high degree of "drive towards conflict" (perhaps as befits its 4-colour inspiration).

As I've become more experienced in GMing it, and also from a close read of published scenarios, I've become more comfortable with a range of techniques for ameliorating some implications of these features. But they're still there.

There was a chart that basically goes from left to right where games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Grey Ranks, and Sorcerer were on the far left and games like Primetime Adventures and Day Trippers were on the far right. The left hand side were games that retained a fairly traditional GM and player relationship and were solidly focused on character advocacy. The games on the right were more experimental, directly modeled narrative structures, and had a less direct relationship between player and character.

I own Marvel Heroic and have played in a few short games of. I had fun with it, but it was difficult to identify with my character and really step into their shoes. The extent to which narrative structures are built into the rules and the way fictional positioning worked took me out of it. If I was going to play it again I doubt I would try to go to that place. Definitely not an ideal game for me. Less egregious than Fate, but not the game for me.

Remove ads