• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, & Sorcerers

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
The scythe falcon is a regular familiar, and my comments are based on it's stats in the revised creature collection.

Trickstergod

First Post
arcady said:
The scythe falcon is a regular familiar, and my comments are based on it's stats in the revised creature collection.

Ouch.

Does it offer up any kind of bonuses to the spellcaster who owns the familiar, out of curiousity? Such as the toads +3 bonus to the casters hitpoints, or the ravens bonus to Appraise?

I'll refrain on further commentary in this specific regard until I know.

Kichwas

+3 to Move Silently.

I was rather supprised the Scythe Falcon had an attack on the level of power of the 3.0 version of HARM (infinate times per day, but only on criticals 18-20), rather than just an increased critical multiple.

Last edited:

SSS-Druid

First Post
Wait.

So, the inclusion of a single, optional animal as a familiar puts the entirety of the guide under suspicion.

Damn, brother. Reading gaming books must be quite a chore for you. :)

Kichwas

Did I write that?

No.

I don't take kindly to having words "put in my mouth".

Not only did I not say that, I didn't even imply ANYTHING close to it.

I happen to -LIKE- the bulk of what I see in the book, and was merely noting one item I felt could be a game stopper if a DM let a player get it, which then turned into a mini discussion.

On the Sword Sorcery forums you did in essense ask people for their reactions...
Subject: So who has the new books?
SSS_Druid - 07/31/2003 04:06:08 - druid@swordsorcery.***

Let us know how it turns out, gareman. I'm interested in peoples'
reactions. Hell, if any of them have strong opinions either way, have
them post a review to RPG.net. ;-)

Joseph
Source

Most of what I see in the book looks good, and I'm looking foward to getting use out of it.

Last edited:

reiella

Explorer
I forget the specific item, but kinda curious now, since I did see a handful of 3e remnants that may have been missed. Just kinda curious if they were intentional or not.

Stuff such as Bardic appliations of Spell Focus giving them a +2 bonus instead of the new +1.

Out of curiosity, I probably missed it in the ad in the back, but are there plans for a PG for the Psionic classes?

NiTessine

Explorer
reiella said:
Out of curiosity, I probably missed it in the ad in the back, but are there plans for a PG for the Psionic classes?

My guess is that they'll hold until the 3.5 psionics book before they publish that one...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Alright well while I personally have no problem with scythe falcons (I admit it! I don't use them! ;) ) I think altering them meself works best.

Joe, if you want to pester someone pester who ever in charge of sending out author's copies. Two weeks wait is a little much...but I'm being patient. :p

As for the Psionic books, I think Joe mentioned a while back when the PG guides were coming out, that the possibility of a PG: Psions and Psychic Warrior IF everything else did well.

Kichwas

I'm just going to not allow them as a familiar choice. As a monster I have no issue using them - they make an interesting although mechanisticly incorrect creature (a super critical should be just done as a super critical), but in the hands of players they would just set the tone of the game too much.

There's no logical reason to take any other familiar -power game wise- if this one is an option. It's just that good of a killing machine -and if you can get some version of Keen Edge that works on natural weapons...

SSS-Druid

First Post
arcady said:
Did I write that?

No.

I don't take kindly to having words "put in my mouth".

Um, no offense, Arcady, but I wasn't talking to you. I see how it may have looked that way, but that wasn't honestly directed at you.

To put more of a positive focus on it, we'd always intended everything herein to be optional - I love the fact that folks are looking closely enough at our stuff and making (and communicating) those kinds of decisions.

Frankly, I was referring to Trickstergods' bit here:
Trickstergod said:
In either case, this puts the new guide under a suspect light, in my eyes.

In fact, my response wasn't intended to be confrontational, though I can see how it may have come across as snarky. I just find hyperbole kind of humorous.

Apologies if I offended.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads