D&D 5E Players railroading dungeonmasters

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yes, it's just more drift on a definition that used to be fairly narrow in scope in my experience. Now like many RPG terms people use it to describe "that thing you're doing that I don't like." Useless.

Pretty much. The problem the video seems to have is "People are detailing their backstories too much, that backstory should be made in the game." As opposed to "railroading the DM," which that isn't really.

And I'll add, plenty of DMs prefer to have characters with detailed backstories, as they find it easier to mine for stories that resonant with the PCs. So this is really just a case of preference as opposed to "what is actually better."

The video makers also seem to be more OSR-leaning, which obviously isn't that keen on backstory. The way they phrased "Everyone loves options, we aren't complaining about more options, BUT" especially felt like "Seems like your complaining about more options?"

jgsugden

Legend
They make a lot of assumptions that are not true in most games. In the games where their assumptions are true, the DM usually wants that input to create storylines. They're essentially saying, "We don't want to be bothered by player interests - we just want to run our game and have the players be our tools to play with rather than see them contribute."

I work with the players to gether hooks. I make it clear that they won't see every hook acted upon, but I'll make use of as much as I see fit. And, just because it is what their PC believes to be true, it does not mean that it is the actual truth. For example, one PC won a set of fighting gloves in their backstory as a prize. When they eventually had a greater restoration cast upon them, their memory was revised and they realized that a wizard gave it to him and changed his memory so he would not realize they were something more important.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
If a player of mine is going to write a hella long backstory, I'm okay with it. But I'm not bound to use it either. I've got enough going on without having to pore over character sheets and backstories. And most don't try to write giant essays.

The bonds and flaws with some fluff to explain them works best.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
As a DM, I prefer shorter backstories as I am illiterate, which means I have to spend less time pretending that I am reading the player's backstory by scrunching up my face and looking kind of constipated.
Your secret shame is safe with us.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The only time I've seen it be an issue is when someone wants to have something like the noble background but then I just work out with them how their background is no more or less than other backgrounds.
And this is just it: some backgrounds or past-professions are simply better and-or come with more benefits than others, which is why in my game if you want a shot at being nobility or something else exotic you have to roll for it on a table of professions/backgrounds and accept whatever the dice give you (which mi-ight be nobility but far more likely will be something mundane and could even be something less-than-mundane e.g. beggar or slave).

Or, you can choose from about 30 relatively basic professions e.g. cook, sailor, farmer, miner, etc.

===================

As for the 'railroading' issue: the problem isn't that the players are coming up with convoluted and extensive backstories. In and of itself, a player coming up with a long elaborate backstory shows me there's an appreciable degree of commitment to the game, and I'm cool with that.

The railroading issue only arises if-when players expect - or worse, demand - that those elaborate backstories become or be made central to play at the table, thus potentially putting the DM in a bind.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Always enjoy having it turn out that one of the player’s relatives or past acquaintances is now working for the BBEG.
Or is the BBEG!
no good satan GIF

Remove ads