Players should play, and not be heard: Campaign Edition

Remathilis

Legend
A pedant is just the pejorative term used for those who are correct.

And, fwiw, I will restate the conversation again for you benefit:

Paul, the Pernicious Paladin Player: Brah, I was at the most killer party last night! It was so awesome. Best ... Party ... EVAR!

Ned, the Normal One: Cool! Who was there?

Paul: The usual. The gnome guy. The drow guy. And me, THE PALADIN! I TOTALLY LEVELLED UP MAN! SMITE SMITE SMITE!

Ned: Um, okay. So, you were playing D&D?

Paul: Yeah, I was totally partying! Party with the Paladins! WOOT!

Ned: Great, Paul.

Paul: I had so much fun PARTYING LIKE A PALADIN STAR, Ima party at bridge night tonight. Ain't no party like a bridge night party 'cuz a bridge night party don't stop ...

Ned: ..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't take an actually of pedants to see the issue here.
This is the hill you choose to die on?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
One of the comments stuck with me- it was the idea of a DM polling the players to determine what setting to run their campaign in.

I poll players to find out what all the NPCs will do on each turn of combat. There's a Roll20 plugin for it. Basically, I introduce each session, then go do other stuff while the players play, and then I show up at the end to review the logs and award XP. I'm told that it's an incredible, transcendent campaign.

oreofox

Explorer
Everyone has to buy in to a concept for any of it to be interesting. Players really want to play a pirate-themed game, but the DM hates pirates? Then a new DM will need to be found, or one of said players needs to step into the DM role. The DM is really into a political intrigue game while the players would rather play a "hack and slash" dungeon romp? The DM needs to find different players, or come up with a different idea that would appeal to all parties.

Remember, no D&D is better than bad D&D, and a concept you have no investment in will become bad D&D.

Riley37

First Post
I have a veritable plethora of hills that I have died upon, always to be brought back.

Have you ever died on the hill where Sisyphus was rolling a rock up the hill?

Next time you die, I will ask, at the funeral, to say a word; at the microphone, I will say a word, specifically, "plethora".

I hope that the officiant will respond with "Thanks. That means a lot."

Remove ads