Playing the Nerdrage Card on my Blog . . .

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Wow. That's really close to irony. I'm gonna call coincidence for now...but I'm fully expecting full bull-goose irony any second now.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Wow. That's really close to irony. I'm gonna call coincidence for now...but I'm fully expecting full bull-goose irony any second now.

C'mon. You're just a Wild Gazebo. You ought to be out on the Internet, bird dogging posts and banging out blogs. ;)

There. I've rephrased a Jack quote to establish my nerdage bona fides. As to the form of marginalization discussed in the blog, it is a sad state of affairs but let's not tell the LARPers yet. Or the Furries. Or the Dice-Hoarders (is that s how yet?).

Jared Rascher

Explorer
C'mon. You're just a Wild Gazebo. You ought to be out on the Internet, bird dogging posts and banging out blogs. ;)

There. I've rephrased a Jack quote to establish my nerdage bona fides. As to the form of marginalization discussed in the blog, it is a sad state of affairs but let's not tell the LARPers yet. Or the Furries. Or the Dice-Hoarders (is that s how yet?).

I'm waiting to see a house filled with gaming supplies sometime, but usually I turn the channel in the first five minutes when I wonder why no one else in the family threw anything out while the primary hoarder was sleeping . . . ;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm waiting to see a house filled with gaming supplies sometime, but usually I turn the channel in the first five minutes when I wonder why no one else in the family threw anything out while the primary hoarder was sleeping . . . ;)

They fear being chastised for not being savvy enough to ebay the lot. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I posted about Nerdrage and elitism on my blog, because I'm getting a bit tired of people using single words to shut down discussion and questions.

Well, the term didn't get its origin from well-meaning and calm questions and discussion. The term arose because on the internet there's many examples of folks getting in high dudgeon over what, taken in context of the real problems in the world, are small things.

There's nothing specific to gamers here - If you behave poorly, people won't want to listen to you. Go figure! If you beat anyone up with the same issues over and over, you will soon make your presence distasteful and unwelcome, and people will want to push you away.

Now, you have a point that using such a term is not the most diplomatic way of handling a problem. But the point remains that the issue isn't generally one-sided.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I understand what you are saying, and I even mention in the blog that some people that "jump the gun" probably do so because they are burned out by people that really do go too far.

On the other hand, I still think that it is probably a good idea to afford another human being the courtesy of explaining why you disagree with them, instead of coming up with a handy all purpose label to dismiss them out of hand.

And if you can't muster enough respect to do that, do you really need to respond to them at all?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I agree that it's pretty obnoxious, especially since such such terms are used in lieu of a more direct personal attack. Calling someone a "fanboy" I think is often rationalized as not truly rude, just sort of a "ha ha, j/k ;) " accusation, even though it's still just as personal and aggressive as calling that person an "idiot".

On the other hand, it's also just teh in3rwebz being teh in3rwebz.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases