Playing the same character since 1985? Gwah?

korjik

First Post
I could happily play some of my characters for quite a long time, but I have never ever met a dungeon master who can last more than a year with the same game: they always want to try new systems.

My question is: how do you people keep your dungeon masters enthused?

Players that dont give me headaches. Having a long term metaplot I want to develop.

Sometimes things dont work out right and the game dosent last long, but if I have good players with interesting characters, I can usually come up with a plot that will get the game to last several years.

MoxieFu

First Post
I started most of my characters in AD&D in 1981 and we didn't run campaigns, we all had a collection of characters and mixed and matched them based on the level of the adventure being run. In a group of 8 or so players over a period of 4 years we switched out between 3 or 4 DM's, me being one of them. We started out playing 2-3 times a week and over that time dropped down to about once a week.

My oldest character was an Elf Fighter/MU who got to 8/11 due to a wish, otherwise would have maxed out at 7/11. I had a Human Magic User started 3 months after the Elf who made 14th level. I also had a Halfling Thief, a Dwarf Fighter, and a Human Bard (F-5, T-7, B-?). I can't remember what level he got to as a bard, but it was more than 7 and less than 10. I can't remember what level the Halfling and Dwarf got to but it was somewhere between 8 and 10. All of these were between 3 and 3.5 years old. Some I continued to play sporadically from 1984 to 1987.

When characters got over 10th level or so there were few published adventures in that range. Most were either retired or semi-retired.

I don't know where the 36 number is coming from, though.
Yeah, see, that's why I said "IIRC" because I wasn't recalling correctly. It was a number that stuck in my head because at the time 2E was released one of the "justifications" that was being used was that 1E already had too many hardcover rulebooks that needed to have the rules brought back under control - and then it was 2E that just made that into the biggest joke imaginable with its uncontrolled rules bloat of 30-some titles in hardcover alone. I did at one time have a fat, hard-sided "briefcase" that was more like a suitcase that I stuffed full of my 1E books and papers to take to games so having 3 book bags full of 1E stuff is still more than plausible.

exile

First Post
The longest running characters that I can recall are...

Sillitta Ederus, a halfling wizard. I created Sillitta for the kickoff of Pathfinder Society organized play back when they were still using D&D 3.5 rules. I think that makes her about four years old.

Denerii Breezechaser, an elven rogue. I created Denerii for the kickoff of LFR. So she's probably around four years old as well.

My characters in home games tend to lack that kind of "longevity."

I came across something which I percieved as peculiar and thought I should ask the gaming community at large about it.

A coworker and I often talk about RPGs in our downtime. I regale him with stories of my weekly Pathfinder and L5R games, he tells me tales of his AD&D group. I had been operating under the assumption that these were tales of a bygone age and he'd been a lapsed gamer for some time. You can imagine my slight shock, then, when he invited me to play with his group last week. I, of course, jumped at the opportunity to see a real-live group playing AD&D 1E.

Upon my arrival, I got to talk to some of the other players. That's when the real shock set in. They hadn't just been playing the same version of D&D with the same group since 1985, 3 out of the 6 players were still playing with the same *characters*. Not the original characters' descendents, not reimaginings or rehashes, the actual original characters. (The newest player had joined in 1999 and was still playing his original character as well.)

To say that I was incredulous is a bit of an understatement. I asked what level they were. The highest level character was level 15. I asked how many times he'd been resurrected. Twice. I asked if they only played every few months. Once a week since 1998, barring a few weeks when people had been sick or on a family vacation. Prior to 1998, they played twice per week.

I commend them for their tenacity and dedication to one setting and one character, but admited that I really didn't understand how it was possible to play a character for that long without them permanently dying or players moving away or everyone just getting bored. They just shrugged and said that's how it'd always been.

Every week since 1985, they lugged three bookbags worth of books per player over to the DM's house. Every week, they've played the same character. 2000+ sessions of the same character.

I guess my question is this: What's the longest you've ever played one character?

My longest played character was about 14 months, playing once per week. The fact that she lasted that long without me getting bored and making a new character was (I thought) an amazing feat.

-TRRW

Well, that seems like an unusually continuous game, but OTOH it doesn't surprise me that much.

I started playing 1e when it came out. Me and another friend of mine each created campaigns, which we then combined into one setting for a good long while before we eventually diverged to the point where they became totally separate games at some point.

I think we started out playing in 1980 in what was basically a continuous campaign that finally ended in around 1995. I recall having 3 main characters, which all started out right around 1980 and were still being played until the end. One was 14th level, the other 2 were around 11th or so. Sometimes we also did side games with a few other characters, but mostly we each played one of 2 or 3 primary PCs.

Leveling up to huge levels was never really the point of that game. Each character ended up with certain goals, story, allies, etc. It certainly wasn't boring, and we played pretty regularly for years at a time. There were some gaps here and there, but both he and I were always running some sort of D&D campaign until eventually Mike's main story line kind of wound down in the mid 90's, mostly because ultra high level AD&D just sort of stopped working and frankly a 14th level magic user can do pretty darn much whatever he pleases at a certain point.

Since then I've been running more episodic 2-3 year long campaigns, but a lot of the original PCs and NPCs are still around. They're just more 'off stage' or permanently 'messed up' somehow and not really adventurers anymore.

It was fun. We always liked the continuity. To a certain extent AD&D didn't really give you a lot of mechanical tools to differentiate characters, so there isn't a heck of a lot of incentive to rerun levels 1-6 or so again and again. Once in a while we'd introduce a new batch of characters, but not too often.

As for playing the exact same characters and no others for 20+ years? Eh, that is a bit more extreme than what we did, but I can see it happening.

As far as advancement in 1e goes... Roughly you can just double whatever it took to get 9th level for each level thereafter. The 'capped' classes are the exception, but they both have totally arbitrary XP progression past 9th as well (there is actually one Monk level that is cheaper than the one before it). For the core classes you have somewhere between 225k and 375k per level after 9th, except the thief, which oddly only tops out at 12th and is drastically cheaper in the 9-11th level range than the other classes.

One thing to remember is that even if you use XP per GP there's a multiplier. You only get the full amount for taking gold in a level appropriate challenge, there's kind of a hint there that if there's some sort of 'windfall' or huge plot based treasure that is much larger than normal it shouldn't all count. Once you pass name level in 1e it is HARD to find at-level challenges. Even the mightiest dragons are only 11 HD creatures. Demon lords and such are your basic options, with a few top-end demons and devils that are close once you're in 2 digit levels.

So you'd expect that 9th level will take 2x more XP than 8th level did, and past that you probably are getting discounted XP. So even with using the standard XP rules it can take a LONG time to amass the XP required to jump a level. A lot of the upper level foes are going to be hard to extract much treasure from too. Demogorgon doesn't generally travel with his treasury and good luck bearding him in his lair...

Also, I concur about the 1e book count. I count 11 total core hardbacks, and most of those are rather 'newish' by 1e standards. The core set for many years was core 3 plus Deities and Demigods and Fiend Folio. UA showed up in what, 85? DSG, WSG, MM2, and MotP were all after that. Honestly I think we barely cracked anything post-OA, and we never really got around to playing OA, though it has some cool stuff.

StarFyre

Explorer
Longest is a campaign started in high school in 1994. Our DM stopped DM'ing us a few years ago, so I took over last year when everyone decided we want that campaign to continue (to bring it to an epic finale). I DM it every quarter...normally a 10- 14 hour session.

'My character' from that group is being used by one of the players. Back in the day, there were 12 players when we started; then 8. Now we have 6 so a couple double ups.

:)

Converted game into 3.5E/Pathfinder.

Game will prob take another 3 or 4 years to reach a pt when they can attempt what their endgoal is due to how things got a lot more powerful in 3.5E than they were in 1e/2e...

Sanjay

Once you pass name level in 1e it is HARD to find at-level challenges. Even the mightiest dragons are only 11 HD creatures. Demon lords and such are your basic options, with a few top-end demons and devils that are close once you're in 2 digit levels.
It's true that in comparing monsters and PC's 1:1 that you rapidly run out of "at-level" challenges. However, 1E is not 3E. You can still challenge the PC's by increasing the sheer number of many of the foes they might face as well as introduce your own critters that fit the criteria that is needed. Even if the foes are several HD lower that is a trick that still works in 1E that 3E is largely mathematically designed to make irrelevant. And then there's always NPC foes. But then I personally always felt that if you start running low on challenge you probably ought to be shifting the focus of your characters and your campaign from dungeon-delving and general adventuring to stronghold and nation-building endeavors. The gain of name-level abilities related to strongholds and guilds does sort of suggest that.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
I guess my question is this: What's the longest you've ever played one character?

-TRRW

I am running a game that started in 2006. All of the players are playing their original characters with the following caveats/exceptions:

• The campaign originally used True20 rules. We switched to 4e after a 9-month break to play Star Wars Saga Edition. 4e scratched the right places for most of our group.
  • One player gave up his first character citing "the character is playing me" as the reason. Uh, a little weird, but this guy's mildly crazy. :)
  • One character died from lack of hit points, but the player's new character was a revenant based on the old one; at her request the other players killed him to raise the old one, who is "back" but with a few more plot hooks.
  • In a six-session "vignette" (I use these to flesh out sub plots and give us all a break; I have done two), I killed another character last night. I didn't do anything unusual - I just didn't abstract the death and dying rules
    while they fled from the BBEG and he kicked it from lack of ability to roll higher than a 10 in saving throws (ongoing damage brought him to negative bloodied).

The characters are all 11th level. I'm not taking it particularly easy on them, but neither am I setting out to kill them. They're playing like real people with these abilities might; I am playing like a twisted world filled with more or less realistic people who serve evil might play.

Heh.

- Ket

Remove ads