• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playstation 3

Captain Tagon

First Post
You know, pedantic is arguably one of my favorite words ever. Seriously. I dunno. I plan on getting th PS3 eventually if it has some really cool stuff for it. But I'm just not super interested in any of the Playstation exclusives as being super cool games.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's apparently going to cost the same as the PS2 did when it was launched. About $370 in Japan

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126410.html

"Today, Japanese Web site Impress PC Watch reported that SCE has told its business partners that the PS3 will be under 40,000 yen ($370) at launch. The news has spurred speculation that the company might launch the machine with the same price it set for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Both machines were priced at 39,800 yen ($368) when they launched in 1994 and 2000, respectively."

(Not that I think this number is necessarily any more true than the $500 figure)

Last edited:

palleomortis

First Post
Just to buy a consol is nuts. As soon as you get it and some good games, there will be another on the way, and you will have to sell the one you have and start saving for the next. I am just sticking with my PS2 and computer.

mojo1701

First Post
palleomortis said:
Just to buy a consol is nuts. As soon as you get it and some good games, there will be another on the way, and you will have to sell the one you have and start saving for the next. I am just sticking with my PS2 and computer.

Which is why everyone is waiting until some spectacular games come out. And if you have the money, why not? It's not like Nintendo will be putting out as many games for Cube as soon as codename "Revolution" comes out. I skipped 64. Lucky for me, the games that I wanted came out redone for Cube (i.e. Zeldas).

TwistedBishop

First Post
I used to feel the same way. Getting hooked on M:tG for a while helped change my perspective though. (Where you have to buy lots of new product every 3 months.)

If the cost of games is an interchangable amount ($50), then to buy a new $300 console every 4 years is only $6.25 a month. That's not bad.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For the short time I had an Xbox, I never bought games - I just rented them. I never saw the desire to own the darned things, because after I played them for a week or two, I either beat them or got tired of them.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
palleomortis said:

Well, in Sony's case, they seem to be coming out every 6 years. 1994, 2000, 2006.

(Microsoft somewhat shorter, 2001 and 2005)

Which is probably a lot longer than a PC lasts, at least in Sony's case.

Arnwyn

First Post
palleomortis said:
I suppose - but, I have loads of disposable income, so I don't have to worry about selling my old systems (which I'll never do) or "saving" for the next.

But, I'm not buying any of these new systems right away. Maybe in a year or two after they're released. Nothing has wowed me yet, and nothing makes me think that this new console generation is remotely worth it.

The PS2 and Xbox are doing just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Agamon

Adventurer
Henry said:
For the short time I had an Xbox, I never bought games - I just rented them. I never saw the desire to own the darned things, because after I played them for a week or two, I either beat them or got tired of them.

Yeah, I didn't own my Xbox long either. I'm just not as much of a video gamer anymore. The next gens will be more than just game consoles, which is pretty cool.

spider_minion

First Post
I've really been underwhelmed by what the I've seen for the next-gen systems. Sure, the graphics are amazing, but all the games look so derivative and unoriginal. My theory is that this will just get worse with the next-gen games; since they will cost more money and take more time to produce, publishers will be less willing to take risks (ie, innovate).

The revolution has caught my eye with its emphisis on creativity rather than power. I'm curious to see what Nintendo does with its controller and downloadable games. Utimately, though, I will go with the system that has the largest game library. If the past is any indictation, that will probably be the PS3.

Until then, I'm more than happy with my PC and PS2.

Remove ads