D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Spell Discussion

Amrûnril

Adventurer
In the spell descriptions, to list the classes is waste of space. It is unnecessary − and is always untrue because subclasses and other features can gain the spells anyway.

I think it's largely a question of how one expects the spell list to be used. If one is browsing the class spell lists and then looking up spells based on those lists, then listing the classes in the spell description is redundant. If one is browsing the spell descriptions themselves for inspiration, however, then having the relevant classes listed with the spell is much easier than having to individually check whether specific classes have access.

I think the first use is likely more common, but I think facilitating the second use is well worth adding one line of text per spell.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This finite class list in the spell description itself creates the misleading impression that other classes are unable to acquire these spells.
No it doesn't, because everyone knows that specific beats general. Not once in my entire time playing 3e(2000-2019) has one single person I played with(several dozen) ever been confused about that. Not one single person.
This impression is false.
So is that statement.
The class list is misleading.
No it isn't.

Yaarel

He Mage
The worst seem the Conjure elemental.
You just bring a powerful elemental spirit, then nothing.
You have to wait that an enemy move closer.
You can’t move the spirit, and if the fight shift place your spirit is stuck there.
They really don’t want we use this spell!
"You cant move the spirit."

Not sure what you are referring to.

The caster can relocate the conjured spirit. For example, Conjure Fey: "As a Bonus Action on your later turns, you can teleport the spirit to an unoccupied space you can see within 30 feet of the space it left ..."

Bolares

Hero
Anything that is unnecessary in the spell description is visual pollution.
sure, but "I don't like it" is not a sinonym for unnecessary. If some people find use for it, and find it a better way of using the information on the book, it's, by definition, not unnecessary.

edit = I'm just wrong here. I made the same mistake as Yaarel in using unnecessary and waste of space as sinonyms.

Yaarel

He Mage
I notice,

All of the Playtest8 spells lack a Material component.

In 2014, the Material component including any gp component is visual pollution. I hope it is gone from every 2024 spell.

Wizards dont use material components. Wizards use wands, or other implement. Clerics dont use material components. Clerics use holy symbols. Bards dont use material components. Bards use a musical instrument, or pure voice, or pure somatic dance. Indeed it is always the class that determines how to cast a spell. Not the spell description.

The removal of the pollution of the Material component is excellent!

With the material component gone, the remaining Verbal and Somatic seem more meaningful. Even for innate spells, like psionics, I dont mind V and S, since the Verbal can focus a thought, and the Somatic body is an aspect of ones self, ones own innate power.

V and S is fine for the flavor of the Sorcerer class, but Material is awful.

Spell descriptions are better without a Material component. The classes enjoy clearer and better flavor.

Remove ads